Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ios 3850 upgrade confirmation through packages and files

I upgraded the Cisco switch 3850,for version 16.9. But i am not sure while installing the software package. with command.

switch#request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin

switch is not in stack .Is it the right command.

when  gave the command.I think file not found message was there.i am not sure about it now whether it got properly installed because did it month before.

when i checked version got upgraded as 16.9.also i can do vlan and adding command to interface etc.

when i gave command,

Switch#dir flash:*.pkg
Directory of flash:/*.pkg

Directory of flash:/

15 -rw- 19858044 Feb 28 2020 14:27:38 +00:00 cat3k_caa-guestshell.16.09.04.SPA.pkg
19 -rw- 30894576 Feb 28 2020 14:27:41 +00:00 cat3k_caa-rpbase.16.09.04.SPA.pkg
16 -rw- 373381748 Feb 28 2020 14:27:40 +00:00 cat3k_caa-rpcore.16.09.04.SPA.pkg
18 -rw- 3107452 Feb 28 2020 14:27:41 +00:00 cat3k_caa-srdriver.16.09.04.SPA.pkg
17 -rw- 22784632 Feb 28 2020 14:27:41 +00:00 cat3k_caa-webui.16.09.04.SPA.pkg
1621966848 bytes total (1080807424 bytes free)
Switch#dir flash:*.conf
Directory of flash:/*.conf

Directory of flash:/

38738 -rw- 4774 Feb 28 2020 14:28:30 +00:00 packages.conf
1621966848 bytes total (1080807424 bytes free)

will these files be sufficent for ios  upgrade.

or to make sure everything is fine can i upgraded again from 16.9 to 16.9 again ,is that possible.

23 Replies 23

Please let me know the 

#show boot and 

#more flash:packages.conf

command output data  which I provided is ok to verify that everything is fine .

Ah, this was buried in there. Sorry I missed it.

Yes, it looks like everything you need is set. Pay attention to the variables for BOOT (in INSTALL, it pointed to the packages.conf is good) and the packages that are loaded. You really want core to be present, though all of them is good too.

One of the things I like to do after a reload is the "clean" command to make sure everything is "in use". You'll see that in the output like follows:

#request platform software package clean

This operation may take several minutes...
Running command on switch 1
Cleaning up unnecessary package files
No path specified, will use booted path flash:packages.conf
Cleaning flash:
  Scanning boot directory for packages ... done.
  Preparing packages list to delete ...
    cat3k_caa-guestshell.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
      File is in use, will not delete.
    cat3k_caa-rpbase.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
    cat3k_caa-rpcore.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
    cat3k_caa-srdriver.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
    cat3k_caa-webui.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
    packages.conf
  done.
The following files will be deleted:
[switch 1]:
/flash/cat3k_caa-guestshell.16.06.07.SPA.pkg
/flash/cat3k_caa-rpbase.16.06.07.SPA.pkg
/flash/cat3k_caa-rpcore.16.06.07.SPA.pkg
/flash/cat3k_caa-srdriver.16.06.07.SPA.pkg
/flash/cat3k_caa-webui.16.06.07.SPA.pkg
/flash/fuji_16_9.conf
/flash/packages.conf.00-

So, verify that the blue is the one you want to be at (as it's in use) and the red is the old one before deleting. That doesn't really make you feel all comfortable before a reload (as it will remove the new image - it's not in use until the reload!) but it's a good way to ensure the subsequent reloads will be good.

But your boot variables are good.

Oh! And to another question that I missed (sorry again...) the command you issued:
request platform software package install switch all file {FILE} force new 

This will be all switches in the stack. As it is a stackable switch, it doesn't need to be connected to another switch to be "stacked". You're still switch 1 when you do a show switch command. Basically it's like issuing an wildcard in anything else, right? You will do it for all switches, whether there are 1 or 9 switches.

To answer your questions:

Yes, everything is present to boot (core, webui, etc. as well as packages.conf). If you boot and it goes into error (rommon), just flash_init and boot to the packages.conf file in  flash: and troubleshoot from there (or upgrade) (or don't reboot again until the next upgrade... :-) ). I've had a problem with these things before. Actually still have one that doesn't seem to want to boot correctly on one of my sites and have to do this still. I'll replace it eventually.

You cannot upgrade to the same version as what you have, even with a "force" switch at the end. It throws an error. Tried that one before too.

If booting is not correct .Is it possible to down grade the version from Fuji 16.9.5 to everset-16.6

and and later upgrade to Fuji 16.9.

Best way to answer this is: yes, it should be possible.

Tell you what though, let me throw it at my development environment to be sure. As you're aware, the Cat3ks take a bit to reload in INSTALL mode, so... give me a few.

Ok, so you can totally do it. Here's what I tracked:

##STARTING IMAGE##
DEV_CAT3K_ASW1#show ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.05
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

##DOWNGRADED IMAGE##
DEV_CAT3K_ASW1#show ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.06.07
Cisco IOS Software [Everest], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.6.7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

##UPGRADED IMAGE##
DEV_CAT3K_ASW1#show ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.05
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.9.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

The commands, every time, were this:
request platform software package clean {to free up space}
request platform software package install switch all file flash:{file} force new verbose

Thankyou so much  Steve .

Not a problem at all! Always happy to help.

Was there anything else you needed? I still have the development environment active if so. If not, please mark as solved.

pkumari4
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nithul,

I can see your switch is running on install mode. This mode uses a package-provisioning file named packages.conf in order to boot the switch. In addition, there are a number of .pkg files in the flash as shown in your output.   

switch#request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin

switch is not in stack. . Is it the right command.

Yes, its the right command.

Basically install mode is suggested in stack mode because with Install mode you no longer need to manually copy the IOS XE to each switch.   This can be performed using an option during the upgrade procedure.  This can be especially useful when managing a large number of switches.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card