cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS file on switch is a .tar file and it wont boot

JakeMIGSMN
Level 1
Level 1

I just recenetly bought a used ws-c3750g-48-ps-s. I noticed the switch would not boot but there is a file on the flash. It is not a .bin file but it is a .tar file. I guess I am just wondering if anyone knows the procedure on how to get this file onto my tftp server so I can extract it (I'm guessing the .bin IOS file will be there once I am able to extract this .tar file)

11 Replies 11

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

copy flash: tftp

It says "Tftp: no such device"

I guess i am not sure how to setup my tftp on this switch in this mode. My TFTP server is 192.168.50.109 if that helps at all.

Are you in ROMMON?

Yeah I am in rommon. I just bought this switch used and thats how it came. I mean I could look into downloading it but I am curious how this .tar file even got on here and wanted to try and learn how to do this.

a .tar file is an old unix archive mechanisim.

there is some free ware to un-tar it

http://www.peazip.org/tar-windows.html

thats just one. you can poke around.

I basically want to get it off this switch so I can un-zip it and then I will copy over the IOS at that point, assuming it extracts an IOS .bin file

Is there any reason you chose not to just download the *.bin file of your IOS image from Cisco.com's support page?

Check out this thread, it should get you going.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/888839

Hope it helps.

The problem is that I do not have this file on my computer, it's only on the switch. I cannot get the file off the switch and onto a PC to extract the neccesary files. It looks like this is a lost cause/no way of getting a .tar file onto my PC. Too bad, would have been fun to figure out.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok so if your switch is in ROMmon and you've got a TAR file then there's other way to boot that but use the ROMmon method.

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches

If you want to unpack the TAR file you can use WinRAR.

mbikongoma
Level 1
Level 1

the owner may have have copied a tar file to the flash instead of extracting it. when installing IOS from .tar you extract using the archive command and not  using the copy command like when you are installing from the bin file. you will have to delete the .tar file and install a fresh IOS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card