cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS, ruuning-config and startup-config transfer to a different switch.

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone!

Please I need answers to the following questions and documents for reference purposes.

My environment:
catalyst 3560G-24TS-E (IOS version: 15.0(2)SE)
catalyst C2950-24 (IOS version: 12.1(22)EA12)
catalyst 2960-24TT-L (IOS version: 12.2<58>SE1)

My intention:
I am looking to replace a switch, so I want to copy and transfer the IOS, running-config and startup-config from catalyst 3560G-24TS-E to catalyst 2960-24TT-L.

My questions:

1. Is IOS switch model-specific or universal? Please provide document describing the support matrix for different IOS versions with regards to switches.

2. Can I transfer IOS and switch configuration from one switch model to another?
        Please provide documents that explain procedure if possible.

3. If question 2 is not possible, what hardware and software condition needs to be met before I can carry out         the task described in question 2? Please provide documents containing the explanations.

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Overlapping with information already provided by Balaji . . .

#1 IOS is not universal across platforms.  Some platforms, however, use the same basic hardware within their family, or part of their family, and for those, you'll often find the same IOS being used across family models.  (For example, on the old 7200 routers, I recall [?] all [many?] the NPEs [i.e. -100, -150, -200, -175, -225, -300, -400, -G1] used the same IOS except for the NPE-G2 [and NSE-1 was different from all the others too].)  Unfortunately, I'm unaware of a support matrix that details what IOS can be used on what platforms.

The way I would determine common IOS versions is looking for the same file name of the IOS supported for a particular platform.

#2 IOS transfer, only if supported on the other platform.  (BTW, there are licensing considerations too.)

Configuration transfer, "you mileage may vary". 

Configuration statement support varies between IOS versions and a different platform can have hardware, especially ports, named differently.  (For example, on the original 3750 its Ethernet ports are all fastethernet while the 3750G Ethernet ports are all gigabitethernet#.  Port numbers also vary for different stack members.)

#3 For IOS, best to examine Cisco's IOS support site for possible downloads.  You may, or may not, find same IOS version for other switch, but even if you do, it might not be the best choice to use exactly the same version/release.

For configuration, if you know IOS commands pretty well, often "doctoring" the other platform's config will make one suitable for the replacement switch.

Don't recall much in the way of documents providing complete explanation as it's implied if you understand the platforms, you understand what can be done.  (I.e. part of expected knowledge for "network engineers".  And if you don't know, as we all didn't at one time either, you learn.)

BTW, a 3560 is a L3 switch, and a 2960 is mostly only L2, especially if running a "lite" IOS feature variant.  I.e. depending on how the 3560 was configured, you may find configuration statements that are not supported on the 2960 regardless of its IOS version.  Also in your case, the 2960's IOS version is earlier than the 3560s, which can have issues with possible 3560 newer configuration statements too.

View solution in original post

Some platforms offer various levels of features, including L3 routing features.

On the older platforms, you would install different IOS feature set images (which, on an "honor" system, you shouldn't install a feature set IOS image beyond what your platform license provided).

On routers, you might have something like an IP Base (perhaps RIP and a subset of EIGRP and/or OSPF), IP Services (perhaps full EIGRP and OSPF) and IP Advanced Services (perhaps BGP and IS-IS).  On switches, might have something like Lite (perhaps limited static routing), Standard (perhaps full static routing and feature like a router's IP Base) and Enhanced (perhaps like a router's IP Services and/or IP Advanced Services).

On the later platforms, IOS now generally comes in an "universal" image, where you need to apply licenses to "unlock" additional features, again often including routing features.

On switches, since capabilities are tied so much to the hardware, feature and IOS images are often more restricted to specific models.  For example a "lite" version switch might not support any feature upgrades.

As for documentation, I don't know of specific documents to explain this, but if such exist, perhaps another poster will provide references.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check my comments below :

My questions:

1. Is IOS switch model-specific or universal? Please provide document describing the support matrix for different IOS versions with regards to switches.

BB - each model has different IOS - so some time they do not match, you need get new IOS and stable one for the new one before you replace the switch old to new.

2. Can I transfer IOS and switch configuration from one switch model to another?
        Please provide documents that explain procedure if possible.

BB - Again IOS to IOS some config may differred here - all the commands may not be accepted.

- use Putty capture show run put in Notepad or Notepad++ - tweal the config, and paste in the new switch is the bestion option, since your models are not same.

3. If question 2 is not possible, what hardware and software condition needs to be met before I can carry out         the task described in question 2? Please provide documents containing the explanations.

BB - you always need to have new device to be Golden Star version which can be find on software download site.

Hope that make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Overlapping with information already provided by Balaji . . .

#1 IOS is not universal across platforms.  Some platforms, however, use the same basic hardware within their family, or part of their family, and for those, you'll often find the same IOS being used across family models.  (For example, on the old 7200 routers, I recall [?] all [many?] the NPEs [i.e. -100, -150, -200, -175, -225, -300, -400, -G1] used the same IOS except for the NPE-G2 [and NSE-1 was different from all the others too].)  Unfortunately, I'm unaware of a support matrix that details what IOS can be used on what platforms.

The way I would determine common IOS versions is looking for the same file name of the IOS supported for a particular platform.

#2 IOS transfer, only if supported on the other platform.  (BTW, there are licensing considerations too.)

Configuration transfer, "you mileage may vary". 

Configuration statement support varies between IOS versions and a different platform can have hardware, especially ports, named differently.  (For example, on the original 3750 its Ethernet ports are all fastethernet while the 3750G Ethernet ports are all gigabitethernet#.  Port numbers also vary for different stack members.)

#3 For IOS, best to examine Cisco's IOS support site for possible downloads.  You may, or may not, find same IOS version for other switch, but even if you do, it might not be the best choice to use exactly the same version/release.

For configuration, if you know IOS commands pretty well, often "doctoring" the other platform's config will make one suitable for the replacement switch.

Don't recall much in the way of documents providing complete explanation as it's implied if you understand the platforms, you understand what can be done.  (I.e. part of expected knowledge for "network engineers".  And if you don't know, as we all didn't at one time either, you learn.)

BTW, a 3560 is a L3 switch, and a 2960 is mostly only L2, especially if running a "lite" IOS feature variant.  I.e. depending on how the 3560 was configured, you may find configuration statements that are not supported on the 2960 regardless of its IOS version.  Also in your case, the 2960's IOS version is earlier than the 3560s, which can have issues with possible 3560 newer configuration statements too.

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Joseph and Doharty!

(BTW, there are licensing considerations too.)"

Please what licensing considerations are there?

If there is a document that explains it, please share.

Thanks!

Some platforms offer various levels of features, including L3 routing features.

On the older platforms, you would install different IOS feature set images (which, on an "honor" system, you shouldn't install a feature set IOS image beyond what your platform license provided).

On routers, you might have something like an IP Base (perhaps RIP and a subset of EIGRP and/or OSPF), IP Services (perhaps full EIGRP and OSPF) and IP Advanced Services (perhaps BGP and IS-IS).  On switches, might have something like Lite (perhaps limited static routing), Standard (perhaps full static routing and feature like a router's IP Base) and Enhanced (perhaps like a router's IP Services and/or IP Advanced Services).

On the later platforms, IOS now generally comes in an "universal" image, where you need to apply licenses to "unlock" additional features, again often including routing features.

On switches, since capabilities are tied so much to the hardware, feature and IOS images are often more restricted to specific models.  For example a "lite" version switch might not support any feature upgrades.

As for documentation, I don't know of specific documents to explain this, but if such exist, perhaps another poster will provide references.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card