Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade/downgrade

Shivu b
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What are all steps has to be follow, When perform change on IOS upgrade/downgrade for switch/router via remote access, in Where no one available at site to provide console access if something went wrong?

* is cisco switch/router boot from secondary image in case primary image corrupt? if Yes, how can be done.

* how can I confirm that switch booted with secondary/primary image

can you please provide your valuable suggestion......Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kindly take the time to watch this presentation: Ask the expert: IOS Upgrade on Catalyst Switches

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is cisco switch/router boot from secondary image in case primary image corrupt?

Routers, yes.  

Switches?  Will depend entirely on the model of the switch. 

* how can I confirm that switch booted with secondary/primary image

"sh version"

Thanks Leo for your reply..

What are all steps has to be follow, When perform change on IOS upgrade/downgrade for switch/router via remote access, in Where no one available at site to provide console access if something went wrong?

Kindly take the time to watch this presentation: Ask the expert: IOS Upgrade on Catalyst Switches

Thanks Leo

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Shivu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how can I confirm that switch booted with secondary/primary image

Answered by Leo - i.e. show version

is cisco switch/router boot from secondary image in case primary image corrupt? if Yes, how can be done.

Often you can define multiple images to be used in a set of boot statements.  Device will run with first found and valid image.  Devices also usually have a default place they will look for a valid image, which will be used if no explicit boot images defined, or none used.  BTW, boot statement normally support different boot media as part of identifying the image.  Depending on your intent, you also don't need to always use media and filename to identify an image to be used.

For example, on a 6500, I might set of boot commands like:

boot system flash disk1:
boot system flash disk0:
boot system flash bootflash:

With the above, I can selectively boot different images just by inserting and/or removing the external CF in slots 0 and 1.  First valid 6500 image, on any of the above media, would be used.

You should be prepared for a failure, even if you do everything correctly, any maintenance increases the chance of an unexpected issue.

I've done remote reboots, with no one on site for immediate help, but planning tried to insure someone could eventually get on site, and if needed, even eventually replace the whole device.  Part of the planning included the reboot would be done to allow the longest possible recovery time, before a reboot failure would impact the business, and when such an outage would begin to impact the business, in the least impactful manner possible.  For example, probably best not to reboot a device 5 minutes before the business opens, and on a day like black Friday or during some accounting book closure, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: