Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade for 9410R

Hello all,

I have a question about the Catalyst 9410R IOS images.  I am looking to upgrade the software on the switch but I'm not sure what the difference between Fuji, Gibraltar, and Everest.  I am currently running what came installed when shipped which is:

Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K_IOSXE), Version 16.8.1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Is there one version of code I should use over the other?  What is the differences between them.  As of this post, Everest 16.6.5 is the Cisco suggested release.  I'm also concerned if any of these codes will have a negative effect on us running 802.1X for our ISE deployment.  Any feedback from the Cisco community, both Cisco and other engineers, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terence

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The versions to go are the 16.9.X and 16.11.X and avoid 16.10.X.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi  @Terence Lockette ,

This link can give you some help:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/128311

Regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The versions to go are the 16.9.X and 16.11.X and avoid 16.10.X.

Thanks, Leo!

I've been reading through the release notes of Fuji 16.9.3 for the upgrade process and it seems a bit confusing.  Can I upgrade this platform similarly to the 4500 platform where I can transfer the .bin file to bootlfash, set the switch to boot the new image using the ' boot system' command and then reload the switch?  Or do I have to use the method outlined in release notes?  Unfortunately, I don't have a spare 9410 to test with.

Terence

Read the Release Notes and do the Install Mode.

Yes I have read the release notes but my question is do I have to perform an upgrade using that method or can I still upgrade via the method like a 4500E chassis?  FYI, I've already completed the upgrade using the install commands but I'd still like to know if this is the only method to upgrade the code.

Terence,

While all Catalyst 9000 Family Switches can run in either Bundle or Install modes, it is recommended to run in Install Mode. 

If the switch is currently in Install Mode, then it is recommended to upgrade using the Install Mode upgrade process as described in the Release Notes. It is possible to change the Boot Variable by removing the " boot system flash:packages.conf " and adding a path to a .bin file. However, booting to a bin is usually slower and will not allow for other functions such as patching in the future.

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks, Scott.  This is what I was looking for.  The release notes talks about the .bin file but I wasn't completely clear if this was a recommended method for upgrading per the release notes.  Thanks for clarifying.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card