Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade space issue

netternewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

Have a small stack of two 3750 routers.  Get the following error message every few secounds:

%STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN

%STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state UP

Now I replaced the stacking cables but no joy. It was ok for an hr or so but then the error messages popped up again. Also random links on this stack back to access layer user switches have been going up and down randomly. So I have decided to take the next step and upgrade the IOS.

Although when I try and copy a new IOS I get the following error:

%Error writing flash:/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE6.bin (No space left on device)

Seems this image is 130MB while the image that is currently on it is 74MB and free space is 54MB.

How do I get the image onto the router? If I delete the current image from flash will that cause the router to stop functioning?

Also I noticed there seems to be more than one flash directory. See below:

copy tftp: ?

flash1:         Copy to flash1: file system

flash2:         Copy to flash2: file system

flash:          Copy to flash: file system

null:           Copy to null: file system

nvram:          Copy to nvram: file system

running-config  Update (merge with) current system configuration

startup-config  Copy to startup configuration

system:         Copy to system: file system

vb:             Copy to vb: file system

The current router image seems to be in flash1 and flash 2 also. Could I delete the image from flash1. Upload it there and then boot the router from flash1?

Any help at all appreciated.

Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ok, so do I copy the image to flash? flash1? flash2? Or all three?

Is flash just an alias for flash1 and flash2?

All 3, no.  Flash is an alias for flash1 OR flash2, which depends on which switch is the master switch for the stack.

Look, let me make it easier for you.

Let's say you have two switches in a stack and let's also say you have the TAR file (instead of the BIN file).  So use this command to automate the IOS being pushed to your entire stack.   Use the command:

archive download-sw /destination 1 /destination 2 tftp:///IOS_filename.TAR

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card