Views
Helpful
Replies

IOSD process getting 50 % cpu utilization

Asim Afzal
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have VSS running  on 2 cisco WS-C4506-E.

My process cpu goes high and when i check IOSD prcoess taking majority of CPU

egtc-dsw-c4k#  show processes cpu sorted

Core 0: CPU utilization for five seconds: 12%; one minute: 13%;  five minutes: 17%

Core 1: CPU utilization for five seconds: 44%; one minute: 49%;  five minutes: 54%

PID    Runtime(ms) Invoked  uSecs  5Sec     1Min     5Min     TTY   Process

8539   4036624     63457075 466    28.18    30.90    35.78    0     iosd              

11758  1594385     12585851 126    0.32     0.26     0.24     0     ffm               

What is this IOSD process do

Thanks

8 Replies 8

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASim,

Is there any chance for you to log a CIsco TAC case so that we login to your device and check what causing the CPU to go high?

Else here is TS method :

====================

1- Check the CPU utilization (Show proc cpu sorted | ex 0.00) >>Check which process is utilizing more CPU usage.

2- Check STP to see if there are any loops (show spann det | in ieee|from|occur|is exec) >> Check for any STP changes for VLAN , If yes then track that vlan and see which inteface is sending and recieving high packets or any drops on that particular interface.

3-Check the CPU packets Stats,

4-Use the following inbuilt non impacting debug to find out the packets going to the CPU(menioned in the same high CPU troubleshooting document)

Switch#debug platform packet all receive buffer

platform packet debugging is on

Switch#show platform cpu packet buffered

Focus on finding any common traits in the packets like srcmac etc.Once we know the bulk of the traffic goingto the CPU the source can be shut off

to bring the CPU down.

Hope that helps,

REgards

Inayath

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3970053#3970053

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2197388

obrenes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Asim:

Have you found out how to resolve the issue? I'm having the same behavior, but I do not have VSS enable.

Rgds,

I'm having the same problems on Secondary distribution switch, 1 SUP card, no VSS enable.

Both switch PAGP etherchannel connected .

On the Primary distribution no any problems, cpu usage lower then secondary switch.

cpu usage on both switch 6% : 16%

In our case, we solved the issue upgrading the IOS. TAC found a bug related with this behavior.

Let me know if you need more details.

Hi Obrenes,

Could you please share the BUG ID ?

Many thanks,

Hi,

Cloud you please share with us the old IOS ver and the upgraded ver.

Thank you :)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi,

Can you please share the bug ID and IOS version you updated to/from please?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card