cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address on a Switch Port?

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

I know that you can assign an IP add. to each VLAN on a switch for management and testing. I noticed that the option to configure an IP on each of the switchports is also available. I remember reading that this wasn't possible during my CCNA studies.

So my question is in what scenarios would you configure an IP address on an individual switchport?

Thanks,

Chris

3 Replies 3

Hi,

If you have a Switch which is L3 capable then you can configure any port for L3 routing. You can have an IP address assigned to that port and perform routing at that port level. In layer 2 Switch you can only do this at VLAN interface.

HTH

Shaheen

alatzas
Level 1
Level 1

IF you have a L3 switch in hand, such as the 3750, you could create networks off each port and the port address would become the Gateway. You also do not have make every port a router port so you could have a mixed environment - such switch ports and some routing ports.

When doing this remember to put the following command "ip routing" so it turns the routing processor on.

Hope it helps...

Pete

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends if it is a layer 2 or a layer 3 switch , if its a layer 3 switch like a 3550 or 3560 then yes you can put an address on the interface itself , this is called a routed port as opposed to a switchport . You specify if you want it as a switchport or a routed port by using the switchport or no switchport command which makes it a routed port.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card