Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Camera not working on Cisco 3850 PoE port

Chhabi Thapa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone ,

We are having issues with IP cameras.We've Axis P3224-LV MK II ip camera connected to Cisco 3850-48P switch PoE port with SW Version 03.07.03E.All ip cameras works fine but few ip camera works fine for sometime and it goes offline.After shutting and un-shutting the switchport it comes online.

Below are the logs :

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interface status when camera is not working

SWITCH#sh int gi1/0/13
GigabitEthernet1/0/13 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 3000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec
SWITCH#

Interface status after shutting and unshutting port.camera is working
SWITCH#sh int gi1/0/13
GigabitEthernet1/0/13 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
5 minute input rate 12000 bits/sec, 15 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 7000 bits/sec, 9 packets/sec

PoE Status
SWITCH#sh power inline gigabitEthernet 1/0/13
Interface Admin Oper Power Device Class Max
(Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi1/0/13 auto on 15.4 Ieee PD 3 30.0
SWITCH#

What could be the issue ?

10 Replies 10

educruz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good day,

If the switch status is up/up when the camera is offline, this does not look like a PoE issue, but rather we must verify if the camera has an IP address or if it is reachable via ping.

Also, verify in the switch side if there is the MAC address of the camera being learned in the switch port properly, as well as verify if there is an ARP entry in the switch acting as default gateway for the camera. 

Hope this helps,

Eduardo.

Hi Educruz,

Sorry for the late response.Actually the issue is that in that network we have other cameras as well which are working perfectly without any issue.But few cameras have this issue and when i shut and unshut the port it starts working.

Hello

Do you have any port-security applied to these ports?

Can you post a readout of one of the port that this is happening to.

sh int x/x switchport
sh port-security
show power inline ( working port and non working port)

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would start with basic physical layer conditions check. In your case you can see that there was no incoming traffic on interface, however outgoing traffic has been sent. Proceed with show interfaces Gi1/0/13 command and look at input / output errors or CRCs. You may want to reset counters on the interface first with clear counters Gi1/0/13 command first (in enabled mode) and then issue show interface Gi1/0/13 to see is it increasing or not. 

If there is no errors or CRCs I would rather look at camera itself. Due to in port security case interface will be put in disabled mode automatically after violation occurs. Also with such cameras it is a good idea to manually define speed and duplex parameters on interface and camera to avoid negotiation.

And to avoid issues with PoE, please put interface in auto mode with power inline auto command.

So, all in all interface configuration should look like this:

Interface Gi1/0/13

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

speed XXXX

duplex full

power inline auto

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

end

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it possible that the camera firmware has crashed? Does the camera have any locally logs to indicate whether or not it was running at the time it was unreachable?

Things like a duplicate IP address might have the camera take itself offline. A local log would be helpful. Looks like that model may have an SD card - can it capture a log file to see if the device is running at the time it goes silent?

Yes they do have the logs but not the exact one i'm looking for.There is no issue with the firmware and ip addressing though.

Felipe A. Amaya
Level 1
Level 1

I dealt with this issue while bringing up a new building, in my case the cameras were connecting to Catalyst 4500 with sup 8's.  I had all types of issues such as a) devices showing connected on the port but no mac address, shut/no shut brought them back up (upgraded firmware) b) duplicate IP addresses c) faulty cable runs (perform) etc..  

Check to make sure sure you are not over subscribing you POE.

Good luck.

Thanks.Maybe upgrading ios is the last option.As of now upgrade is not possible for me.

carl robinson
Level 1
Level 1

run a tdr test on your cables, make sure they are within spec.

verify the port with another poe device or a tester.

I have been searching for similar answers for some Angel Eye Cameras.

I have seen some suggestions that the POE spikes on startup then drops before negotiating.

Defututus
Level 1
Level 1

Try to disable CDP on interface where the camera is connected to (no cdp enable). It should use LLDP for the PoE negotiation (lldp transmit). You can still debug it if it does not help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: