Views
Helpful
Replies

ip device tracking in cisco 3850

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Guys

where is the ip device tracking in cisco 3850 , new code , did they change the command

thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IP Device Tracking is available since 3.X.X.
Enable globally first and then enable on a per-interface next.

View solution in original post

Ibrahim,

are you running a 16.x version ? They moved IPDT to SISF. The below is from the attached support document:

"If your device has no legacy IP Device Tracking (IPDT)  CLI configuration, you can only use the new SISF-based device-tracking CLI commands for all your future configuration. The old IP Device Tracking CLI are is not available."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-1/configuration_guide/b_161_consolidated_3650_cg/b_161_consolidated_3650_cg_chapter_01001010.html#concept_A4AB227AC35840A1ACE51453EDBACD3E

conf t

ip device tracking

interface <BLAH>

ip device tracking max 10

end

sh ip device track interface <BLAH>

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IP Device Tracking is available since 3.X.X.
Enable globally first and then enable on a per-interface next.

Hello leo

it looks liek this now

device tracking policy TRK

!

int X/X

device-tracking attach-policy TRK

pls advide

Ibrahim

Ibrahim,

are you running a 16.x version ? They moved IPDT to SISF. The below is from the attached support document:

"If your device has no legacy IP Device Tracking (IPDT)  CLI configuration, you can only use the new SISF-based device-tracking CLI commands for all your future configuration. The old IP Device Tracking CLI are is not available."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-1/configuration_guide/b_161_consolidated_3650_cg/b_161_consolidated_3650_cg_chapter_01001010.html#concept_A4AB227AC35840A1ACE51453EDBACD3E

conf t

ip device tracking

interface <BLAH>

ip device tracking max 10

end

sh ip device track interface <BLAH>

Thanks to all of you guys

Hello,

i've the same problem, WS-C3850-12S (MIPS) running 16.12.08 if try to configure ip device tracking i'm promped this error:

usa-sw1-mid(config)#ip device tracking probe auto-source override
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

usa-sw1-mid(config)#ip device tracking probe delay 10
^

even configuring it at interface level:

usa-sw1-mid(config-vlan)#int Gi1/0/1
usa-sw1-mid(config-if)#ip device tracking maximum 0
^

could you please advise me?

tachavez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This one is already resolved, but, if you are using IOS-XE 16.X the command required is:

ip device tracking probe...

Reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-1/command_reference/b_161_consolidated_3650_cr/b_161_consolidated_3650_cr_chapter_01110.html

saagar
Level 1
Level 1

To enable IP Device Tracking on a Cisco Catalyst 3850, you could use the following commands in interface configuration mode:

interface <interface_type> <interface_number>

ip device tracking

For example, if you want to enable IP Device Tracking on a GigabitEthernet interface, you would enter:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

ip device tracking

If you're not finding the ip device tracking command in the new code or if the command structure has changed in the software version you're using, I recommend referring to the Cisco documentation specific to your software version or reaching out to Cisco's technical support or community forums for the most up-to-date information on how to enable IP Device Tracking in your particular version of the Catalyst 3850 software. Command variations and syntax changes can occur in different software versions and updates, so it's important to consult the documentation that matches your specific environment.

hi,

i found the cisco document about this version: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-12/command_reference/b_1612_3850_cr/m_1612_sec_cr.html#wp3659447134

but i don't understand how to adapt the commands.
it's written to give the "

device-tracking upgrade-cli 

but it's not clear if this command will allow me to give the 

ip device tracking probe auto-source override
ip device tracking probe delay 10
i
p device tracking maximum 0

For consistency purposes, IP Device Tracking (IPDT) is implemented in two different ways.

1.  If IPDT was used when the switch was previously on 3.X.X, then the command "ip device tracking" is valid.  Upgrade to 16.X.X and the command to use is still "ip device tracking". 
2.  If IPDT was never used in 3.X.X, then the new 16.X.X command is "device-tracking database".  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: