Views
Helpful
Replies

IP is not showing in CDP neighbor detail

vipinrajrc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Experts,

I have configured a new switch with the following configurations.

int vlan 1 --> no ip address , shutdown

int vlan 55 --> ip address 10.55.55.224 255.255.255.0

no shut

All the other switch in the infrastructure is configured with VLAN55 as the default vlan. I am in remote location. On site engg connect this switch to the console of his PC. and i took remote of that. After the configuration he connected to the distribution switch. All the ports in the Distribution switch is trunk. While connecting the new switch to the distribution switch, from cdp information switch's informationis getting. BUT IP ADDRESS is not showing up.

also we didnt get ping/telnet to that ip.

I didnt configure any native vlans in trunk port. all the other swithes are showing with native valn as 1 in trunk information.

And all the other switch's interface vlan 1 was shutdown.

Please suggest a suitable answer........

Thanks

Vipin

Thanks and Regards, Vipin
21 Replies 21

Hi,

Yes this the CDP information of the new switch from the other switch. I can see the CDP informations, but no ip is listing. what may be the issue?

Intervlan routing there using a core switch.

Thanks

Vipin

As john and p.mcgowan indicates the VLAN must be known on the switch. This is why we need this:

"Can you please post output of show vlan and show ip interface brief"

You could even try to set switchport trunk allowed vlan 55 on the trunk port.

Hi,

I am really sorry that the onsite person is not available at this time to connect the switch to a PC in order to take interface information (Since we are unable to connect the switch via telnet console connection is required to reach the swich). But i can give you the information required.

Show VLAN would be as below

VLAN 1 :   0/1 to 0/5 &  Gi0/1 , Gi 0/2

IP interface brief would be as below:

interface 0/0  to   0/24     all are down

interface VLAN 1          -----    administratively down     line protocol down

interface VLAN 55        -----    Up           down            (note that the console cable is connected since we dont have access while connecting to the distribution switch)

Please consider that we are in a remote location and configuring the switch by taking the remote session of a PC where the switch's console cable is connected.

Please advice what can be done in this regard.

Thanks.

this looks like the layer 2 vlan 55 is not configured on the remote switch.

enter the following on the switch

conf t

vlan 55

exit

write mem

this will configure the switch  with a layer 2 VLAN, you have already configured the layer 3 interface, if you have a trunk configured between both switches the vlan 55 state should chnage to up up

Hi,

yes i didn't configure any layer2 vlan. I will try this and update soon.

But my doubt is....................

This switch is configured with VTP client. when i connect this switch to other switches all the VLAN information should be downloaded to this switch right? But it didnt happen. What might be issue?

Thanks

Vipin

Hi Vipin,

Can you please try bring up vlan 1 and also try configuring native vlan 55 on both ends and see if all works?

the VLAN information has not been downloaded to to the other switches because the layer 2 VLAN is not up, you cannot ping this IP address because there is no layer 2 for this VLAN.

You need to configure layer 2 VLAN for VLAN 55 or you will not establish IP connectivity.

Once you have created the layer 2 VLAN the IP information should appear in CDP.

Please configure layer 2 VLAN as per my previous post;

conf t

vlan 55

exit

write mem

this should resolve your problems.

Please rate post if helpful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card