Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Multicast Routing in 3-tier Traditional Deisgn

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Gents,

I've a traditional 3-tier traditional design (not-Routed Access), in which I've Access layer containing  the vlans, distribution layer having the SVIs serving as the gateways for those vlans configured on the Access nodes and the core layer connected to the distribution layer with OSPF backbone area. 

Now on the access layer I've IPTV devices connected hence the require IP-Multicast to be enabled in the network.

Kindly, let me know what's the suitable multicast configs to be considered here in my scenario.

Thanking you all in advance!

Regards,

Umer 

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Is IPTV source and destination connected to your access/distribution layer?  if that is the case you would need IGMP at the access layer and PIM enabled on SVIs that need to have access to TVs on the distribution switches. If the source of IPTV is connected to the core than you need PIM on the core switches as well.

HTH

Thanks Dear Brother!

My IPTV end devices are connected to the Access switches, and IPTV servers are connected to the server farm switches those are directly connected to the Core nodes.

I've vlan 50 - 60 for the end devices and vlan 100-105 for the servers.

Between Core and Dist I've OSPF running. 

Let me know what's an optimal solution here.

BR,

Umer 

Ok, so if the server farm vlans terminate on the core switches than you would need to run PIM on the core as well.  You probably want to make the core switches you RP.

Also, all 4 vlans SVIs need to have PIM enabled.

HTH

Thanks for prompt response bro!!

Let me know if the configuration of IGMP snooping querier is also required in the topology.

BR,

Umer 

Hi Reza,

Do you have sample configs?

Kindly, let me know plz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card