Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSLA circuit speed test

luis.rosello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm working on a project of implementing DLS lines as backup circuits for our MPLS.  The mandate is that the circuit speeds be tested first to determine if our ISP are meeting their SLAs, and second to validate the actual speed of the circuit to see how much throughput we're getting.

I want to run the test from the router itself, and not a worksation on the LAN, so I thought IPSLA may do the trick.

First off, can IPSLA be used to dwn an FTP file for instance, and determine how long the download takes?

If so, how?

If it cannot be used, what else could be used on the router to test connection speed?

Any and all suggestions welcome, thanx!     

2 Replies 2

Mert OZKUL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Luis,

Well, i have to admit that is a fantastic question. There are some "ip sla" options like history or sth else regarding to your problem. Unfortunately, couldn`t test and see the results related to ip sla history options.

Here is my fantastic (which really extreme and painful IMHO) idea for you, if you really need to make it in the router, it can help you temporarily.

1-) Configure basic IP SLA FTP operation as normal.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipsla/configuration/guide/sla_ftp.pdf

2-) Open sla debugs and see what logs are coming when the operation start(lets say PatternA) and end (PatternB)

3-) Configure basic EEM and trigger when it see the PatternA and end it PatternB.

4-) The delta time will be your download time You can mail these times to one of your syslog servers too. So whenever your IP SLA FTP operation start&end, the eem informations can be send to your syslog and you can aware of that.

Good Luck,

BR,

-Mert

Thanx Mert, you're right, that does sound painful!  I'll see if I can set that up this weekend (maybe not with Christmast and the end of the world and all), but if I do I'll report back, thanx!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card