cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 VRF on 4500-X (3.4.3)

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

Does the 4500-X with IOS XE version 3.4.3 not yet support IPv6 VRF-Lite configuration ?

When creating a multi protocol VRF definition it wil not accept address-familily ipv6:

% IPv6 address family is not supported

Though the management vrf has it with both families.

Am i missing something obvious here (except for the lack of support) ?

We are running enterprise services on the VSS pair.

2 Replies 2

jarandmoen
Level 1
Level 1

I'll answer myself, after some exstensive digging:

Beginning with Release IOS XE 3.5.0E and IOS 15.2(1)E, it will support IPv6 VRF-lite

Jesse Manix
Level 1
Level 1

The global "mls ipv6 vrf" cmd should fix your problem, but has anyone figured out how to do IPv6 over EVN?

The only option seems to be subinterfaces on the PE side and SVIs on the CE side, but who wants to have layer 2 "routed links?"

Usage Guidelines

You must enable the mls ipv6 vrf command in global configuration mode in order to enable IPv6 in a VRF. If this command is not used, a VRF is supported only for the IPv4 address family.

Configuring the mls ipv6 vrf command makes the router reserve the lower 255 hardware IDs for IPv6 regardless of whether IPv6 is enabled. Other applications that make use of these hardware IDs then cannot use that space.

To remove the mls ipv6 vrf command from the running configuration, the user needs to remove all IPv6 VRFs from the router and reload the system.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card