cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it Possible ...? One physical cable is connected in the same switch but in two different VRF?

Beacon Bits
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've asked to check that I haven't tried as yet.

The scenario is:

A Nexus switch has three VRFs and physical ports are allocated to each VRF.

Can these VRFs be connected to each other via physical cable for route leaking or it is not possible?

I know on VDC it is what Nexus allows.

Regards,

B

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Using physical cable is only for VDC. For VRF, there is no need for cable, you just need to leak them together.

HTH

Thanks Reza!

But can we do it or it is allowed in VDC only.

Regards,

B

Hi,

If you connect say e1/1 (in vrf1) to e1/2 (in vrf2) using the same switch, you are basically looping physical ports together and can potentially have STP issues.

HTH

Hi Reza,

I think you got it.

I wanted to know:
One physical cable connected in SW1 port E1/1 that is the VRF-1 and other end of this cable is connected into the same switch SW1 port E1/2 that is in VRF-2.. is it possible?

I believe it is not possible .. because of Layer2 STP loop. STP will cause the loop due to the same Bridge domain.

Regards,
B

Hello

Not so sure what you mean here - However fyi -you can have multiple vrfs defined on a switch and also have one physical port with multiple L3 sub-interfaces each within a different vrf  and that physical pot connected to another switch via a trunk interface.

Example;
conf t

vrf context Test
vrf context Test1
vrf context Test2

interface Ethernet2/1
no switchport
no shutdown

interface Ethernet2/1.10
encapsulation dot1q 10
vrf member Test
ip address 10.10.10.1/24

interface Ethernet2/1.20
encapsulation dot1q 20
vrf member Test1
ip address 10.20.20.1/24

interface Ethernet2/1.30
encapsulation dot1q 30
vrf member Test2
ip address 10.30.30.1/24

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes, it is possible. You will play with an L3 interface and make multiple subinterfaces. You remote end switch interface will be in trunk mode. 

interface Ethernet1/1.9
encapsulation dot1q 9
vrf member VRF-1
ip address <IP ADDR>

interface Ethernet1/1.10
encapsulation dot1q 10
vrf member VRF-2
ip address <IP Addr>

interface Ethernet1/1.11
encapsulation dot1q 11
vrf member VRF-3
ip address <IP Address>

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card