cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to connect switches together via a patch panel?

I have a small 1 VLAN LAN composed of 8 managed switches. For redundancy, I am connecting the switches in a ring topology. 5 of the switches are in the same room, but the other 3 switches are in the next room, about 20 feet away. I could run a cable through the ceiling, but is it possible to connect them via the patch panel?

Please see attached picture which depicts what I want to accomplish.

Best regards,

Alex

4 Replies 4

Hello

if the two rooms are physically connected via th cable management then it is possible to do this.

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, all network jacks are connected to the patch panel. I don't think it should be an issue and I tested in a test lab. I want to make sure this is a valid solution before I implement in production.

Thanks.

Yes you can connect it. I dont see any challenges to connect like this.

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Soleymani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alex

What's your mean about RING topology?

I think your mean is STAR topology.

For suggestion type all of switch models:

#Switch ModelNormal PortsHigh speed Ports (Gigabit)
12960S242 x 10G

Regards

Armen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card