cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to connect UCS 6120 uplinks to Nexus 2248

Sanjesh Kishore
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to connect UCS 6120 uplinks to Nexus 2248 which is connected to Nexus 5000? I am trying to connect this way with vPC from each 6120 to 2 x Nexus 2248. 2 x uplinks to 1sr Nexus2248 and the 2 x uplinks to 2nd Nexus2248. The links comes up and portchannels are up from both ends but I cannot ping anything from UCS blades. I test it with using single uplink (not in PC) and it still wont work. Then tried single uplink with no trunk mode and it worked. I have only single VLAN at this stage so its not a issue but would not like to use it in non-turnk mode as more VLANs will be required later. I have not tried vPC with links in non-trunk mode yet.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all you can not multi home server ports like ucs vPC to n2k then the n2k is using vPC up to the n5k currently it is not supported

Secondly why you need this extra hop between the ucs FI and the N5k ! Just use multi homed port channels upnto the n5k and use vPC on the n5k

Make sure the switching mode in the ucs is set to end host mode

Also not sure if you are using n1k in the ucs with vsm or direct path with vn-link and how the uplink port channel is being configured all of these need to be checked too

Hope this help

If helpful rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all you can not multi home server ports like ucs vPC to n2k then the n2k is using vPC up to the n5k currently it is not supported

Secondly why you need this extra hop between the ucs FI and the N5k ! Just use multi homed port channels upnto the n5k and use vPC on the n5k

Make sure the switching mode in the ucs is set to end host mode

Also not sure if you are using n1k in the ucs with vsm or direct path with vn-link and how the uplink port channel is being configured all of these need to be checked too

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Thanks for the info. It helps now that I now know UCS uplink to N2K is not supported.

This is hosted environment and the service provider has given 2 x N2K in the rack. We do not have direct access to N5K yet. We'll need to request for this now knowing that we cannot connect UCS to N2K.

We are not using N1K. BTW, do have link to any Cisco document which states that connecting UCS uplink to N2K is not supported? Just need something to show service provider.

Cheers, thanks for you help.

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well I am not saying not supported but if you want to use vpc from the ucs side using n1k you have to make sure that the n2k connected strightthrough to the n5k

Not multihomed with vpc between the n2k and n5k

The service provider might using this as top of rack switch to extended the connectivity to the n5k

Hope this help

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I don't understand exactly, Is it possible connect FI to N2k as Ethernet up-link and use vpc on N2K side?

I am going to connect FI to the network like below scenario.

FI-A connect to N2K-A and N2K-B(use port-channel on FI and use VPC on N2Ks)

FI-B connect to N2K-A and N2K-B(use port-channel on FI and use VPC on N2Ks).

We do it but all ports are up as Individual link in port-channel.I use LACP in port-channel configuration

could you please help me?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: