cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to have Redundant connectivity without using routing protocols?

prudhvin.n
Level 1
Level 1

I have two networks in two different locations connected through p2p and RF. Is there any possibility to configure redundant connectivity with out using routing protocols or with just static routing?

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can use just static routes if you want to.

The main issue with static routes is there is no exchange of routes between locations which means if any part of a link fails your routers at each location may not realise it whereas with dynamic routing they would stop receiving routes.

You can get around this by using IP SLA to track the status of the links.

Jon

Sorry my knowledge is limited. Can we use the administrative distance and metric in layer 2 switch along with static routing to act as fail-over.

You can't use any of those with a L2 switch.

You need a L3 switch or any other L3 device to do that.

Jon

The cisco 2960X has static routing features. Please suggest if I'm wrong.

2960-X LAN Lite- Single default SDM template; it cannot be modified.
2960-X LAN Base- lanbase-default - default LAN Base template on 2960-X Series. Supports                                IPv4 and IPv6 static routing.
                               default- 2960-S default template, used for mixed stack.
                               lanbase-routing - 2960-S routing template, used for mixed stack.
2960-XR IP Lite- default - 2960-XR default template. Supports IPv4 and IPv6 routing.
                            vlan - Layer 2 only template with large Layer 2 entries.
                            ipv4 - IPv4 only template with large routing entries.

Yes that switch can be a L3 switch with the right feature set on it.

You said it was a L2 switch but that switch can be a L3 switch.

Jon

Only the LAN base and IP Lite will provide static routing. I'm not sure if the LAN base has support for IP SLA but the IP Lite might.

Could you help with the configuration steps of 2960X switch to connect primary and secondary routes, one with leased lines and the other with RF with help of Ip route  on Switched virtual interface and IP SLA to monitor the ping response. thanks in anticipation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card