cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is my subnetting design correct?

deeu
Level 1
Level 1

We are supposed to design a subnet for 192.168.10.0 /26 and here is what I came up. Is my design correct? This is my first activity using cisco packet tracer and I am just a beginner in networking. Your feedbacks are most welcome. TIA

subnet.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have done /24 in to /26  - thats looks ok.

Make sure they are in the right VLAN and right Layer3 interface created on the Router and allowed in the trunk

you need to configure ip routing and dot1q sub interface on Cisco 2911 Router to connect each other.

make sure all the VLAN created on switches.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have done /24 in to /26  - thats looks ok.

Make sure they are in the right VLAN and right Layer3 interface created on the Router and allowed in the trunk

you need to configure ip routing and dot1q sub interface on Cisco 2911 Router to connect each other.

make sure all the VLAN created on switches.

BB

"Make sure they are in the right VLAN and right Layer3 interface created on the Router and allowed in the trunk"

NB: In the topology shown, the default VLAN (1) would suffice, and trunk link isn't necessary.

"you need to configure ip routing and dot1q sub interface on Cisco 2911 Router to connect each other."

NB: On a 2911, IP routing should be enabled by default (if fact, don't recall if you can actually disable it) and router interfaces don't need .1q or subinterfaces if trunks not being used.

"make sure all the VLAN created on switches."

NB: the default VLAN (1) should suffice.  (I.e. basically have the switches mimic non-manageable L2 switches.)

deeu
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the response sir. To be honest, I do not yet understand your terms like "VLAN", "Layer3 interface", "IP routing" and "dot1q sub interface". The PCs on the subnet 1 and 2 can ping each other and they can also ping PCs on subnet 3 and 4.

On this setup I used the last usable host of each subnet as the gateway of each subnet, is that a correct configuration? In subnet 1 I used 192.168.10.62 as the gateway.

Again, thank you so much!

"On this setup I used the last usable host of each subnet as the gateway of each subnet, is that a correct configuration?"

Actually, you can use any IP, within the network, for a gateway.  However, traditionally/usually either the first or last usable IP is used for the primary gateway.  (Personally, I like to use the first usable IP as I only need to add 1 to the network prefix.)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are your trying to subnet 192.168.10.0/24 into four /26 networks or are you trying to subnet 192.168.10.0/26?

How many subnets did you want to make?  All the same size or different sizes?

We need to subnet 192.168.10.0/26 and there are 4 subnets. We just need to add variable # of pc to each subnet so I only used 3 PCs.

Thank you guys for the help and time, it is much appreciated!

"We need to subnet 192.168.10.0/26 and there are 4 subnets."

In that case, your largest IP cannot be greater than 192.168.10.62, which your OP diagram has.

There are various way to slice and dice a /26, again, you might have four, all the same size, i.e. four /28s:

JosephWDoherty_0-1663715028809.png

I thought it should be subnetted like this?

subneta.JPG

yes that is what i was mentioned post, your subnet is ok, if you like to subnet /24 in to /26

but your post confusing  that you looking to subnet /26, so @Joseph W. Doherty  was suggesting to /26 in to smaller subnet.

BB

As @balaji.bandi describes, whether what you did is correct or not depends on whether you intend to subnet 192.168.10.0/24 or 192.168.10.0/26 - two very different things.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

Deeu,
Your design and configuration of a basic network looks good. You have successfully taken the 192.168.10.0/24 network and divided it into four equal /26 subnets.
Subnet 1 = 192.168.10.0-63/26
Subnet 2 = 192.168.10.64-127/26
Subnet 3 = 192.168.10.128-191/26
Subnet 4 = 192.168.10.192-255/26
Links are up and the PCs can communicate with each other. Kudos.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card