cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is RSTP part of PVSTP? Cisco 2960 Switches (Cisco Support Community Subscription Update)

YumeNoKira
Level 1
Level 1

My client has asked me to run rapid spanning tree on his cisco switches.

The first one is a WS-CS2960G-24TC-L  running 12.2(25)SED and C2960-LANBASEK9-M.

The second one is also a WS-C2960G-24TC-L running 12.2(35)SE5 and C2960-LANBASE-M.

The only configuration lines that i found on both devices relatives to spanning-tree are the following ones.

spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id

With my limited knowledge and experience in cisco switches i can only tell that they are running per vlan spanning tree. However i always assumed from what i've red on the subject that RSTP was an improvement included in PVST. Now i am confused because i have seen a list on plateform which support RSTP  ( https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/24062-146.html ) and CISCO 2960 switches are not among them.

I am told i will be given a diagram of the targeted architecture by thursday, i will post it here. In the meantime i would like to know if RSTP is a reliable solution on my platforms or not.

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are not the same thing. 

On the switch in configuration mode - 

"spanning-tree mode ?" 

and it will show you which versions of STP the switch supports but only change it out of hours. 

Jon

To add to Jon's post, the command you want to find (use) is:

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

BTW, pvst and rapid-pvst will inter-operate, but ideally, you'll want all the switches on rapid.

The vlan are meant to be kept, in that case giving up on pvst for rstp is not appropriate is it ? I'm assuming that rstp does not handle vlan or does it ?

The version of RSTP on the switches are per vlan so you should be okay.

Jon

Adding to Jon's post, again ;)

STP vs. rapid-STP are the underlying algorithms. STP, I believe, predates VLANs, and on some vendors equipment they only support STP or rapid-STP for all VLAN instances. (Sometimes this is known as "common" STP.)

One of Cisco's early "enhancements" was to support STP per VLAN (allowing different STP topologies per VLAN, PVST - Per-VlanSTp, also allowing different physically redundant link usage). When rapid STP came out, Cisco again implemented it per VLAN.

syrehan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your replies. Turns out the client want to add some devices to my switches, 4 additional switchs (2 Dell 2 HP). I advised against trying to implement spanning tree between devices from different constructors.

Mixing vendor switches, and their STP implementations, can sometimes be done. The problem often is (rapid or not) Cisco's per-VLAN STP vs. other vendor's common STP. Sometimes the only solution between different vendors is using MST.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card