cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a compatible SFP Interconnect Cable to connect 3750 to 3650?

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Is there a compatible SFP Interconnect Cable to connect 3750 to 3650?

We know that CAB-SFP-50CM is NOT compatible with 3750. It can connect two 3650s together just fine but not 3650 to 3750.

So in summary if such SFP interconnect exists what is it? I could not find it in the 3750 SFP compatibility matrix: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc503260654

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't think that cable is compatible with the 3750 series as they are much older than the 3650 series. I think your option is to use 2 GLC-SX-MMD SFPs with a fiber patch cord and connect them together.

HTH

Thanks Reza, I wasn't asking whether it is compatible - I stated a fact that CAB-SFP-50CM is NOT compatible with 3750. That be it as it may I wanted to know what cable is compatible, if any.

Yes the SFP with fiber patch word would work but I would like to avoid that and use an interconnect cable if one does exist.

3750s use a special proprietary interconnect cables for stacking (pair of connectors on the back of the switch) which is gone in the more modern switches so I am hoping that doesn't mean SFP interconnect simply isn't possible with 3750 - anyone?

Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suspect Cisco believes since the 3750 includes a stacking ports, and the short cable was included with every unit, there shouldn't be a need for an inexpensive cross connection option using SFP ports.

That said, I've often wondered whether the 3650 SFP interconnect might work if you enable support for unsupported transceivers. Have you tried that?

@Joseph W. Doherty That was my next step but ran out of time while fiddling with Google and reading  the typical non-answers all over the Internet LOL, I do want to see whether it will work if I enable support for unsupported transceivers.

I will keep everyone posted with results!

~B

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

Not sir, there is not a compatible SFP cable.

Actually, that SFP cable is only compatible with a 3560 switch.

https://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/gbic.pdf

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/21268-132.html#patch-cable

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

yes -- 3750s use a special proprietary interconnect cables for stacking (pair of connectors on the back of the switch) so they only want you to use their special proprietary interconnect cables 

yes -- a fiber SFP will work with a little FX patch cord but I was looking for a copper interconnect cables just like in the 35xx boxes

Oh well, life.

Thank you everyone

~B

If the special 3560 interconnect cable won't work on 3750, you should be able to use a copper SFP. Those are less expensive than fiber SFPs. Of course, this doesn't combine the switches in any special way.

@Joseph W. Doherty yes sorry copper SFP will do just as well as FX, I forgot to say that clearly

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card