cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any way to create CISCO 2960 Stacking with RJ45 cable

Prawal3001
Level 1
Level 1

I want to stack 2 x CISCO 2960 switches, but they are in different racks so I cannot do it using stack cable. Only option I have with my patch panel is to connect RJ45 cables. Is there any way I can do it with RJ45 instead of Stack cables? 

Please help!!!

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No you can not do stacking using RJ45

never tested myself, try flex link :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swflink.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't "looked" at the 2960 stacking cable options, but in the (possibly similar vintage) 3750 there was an optional 3 meter stacking cable, used for things like cross stack rack connections.  I.e. perhaps Cisco offered longer stacking cables for the 2960s too.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

Prawal3001,

As @Joseph W. Doherty mentioned, Check into a 3 meter version of the Flexstack and Flexstack-Plus cables. If that is still not long enough, then your other option would be to use Flexstack-Extended. Switch Model, IOS, and cost (requires Flexstack-Extended modules) are key factors to consider.
It might come down to either moving the switch or doing without the stacking feature. HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Prawal3001
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your replies. It seems I have to do without stack feature.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card