cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any way to make a WISM Service module to not do Auto-LAG ...Ever?

andrew.potter
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at the release notes here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_tech_note09186a00808330a9.shtml#config where it says

"Note: When you have a WiSM installed on a switch that runs Cisco IOS                 Software Release 12.2.33SXI, defining a Port-Channel manually on the switch and                 applying it to the gigabit interfaces does not work. Auto-lag must be                 used."

this forces me to use the "wism module <slot> controller <1 or 2>  " to configure the channel. 

How do we do advanced port configurations like "mls qos" and "wrr-queue..." commands on these channels or the physical ports?

Is there a way with this release of IOS to not do automatic LAG?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrew,

the internal port-channels towards the two processors of the WISM will be LACP, no other way as far as I know.

Regarding QoS you can trust the frames received using:

Enter this command to configure the QoS trust for the             interface as reported in the document you have linked:

wism module  controller 1 qos-trust dscp

using LACP should be an advantage for some aspects

Hope to help
Giuseppe

>>the internal port-channels towards the two processors of the WISM will be LACP, no other way as far as I know.

Thats not  what I was asking.   I  know that the WISM requires etherchannel with no way to turn it off like on a 4404.     I am not trying to do that.

In versions of IOS prior to 12.2.33SXI, we created port channels manually to the WISM  the same way you would on a ethernet line card module.

After 12.2.33SXI, you MUST use the supervisor "auto-LAG" feature which automatically creates the port channel with a seemingly random port channel number.    All configuration to the port channel and the underlying GigE ports are done by the "wism" command on the supervisor.

I am hoping (perhaps in vain) that we can get the flexibility we had in older versions of 6k IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card