cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is trunk port necessary when there is only one VLAN configured on a switch?

Mohamed Fyaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have VLAN 10 created on a layer 2 switch (Switch 1 ).

And I created VLAN 20 on another layer 2 switch (Switch 2).

I understand there should be routing between these 2 VLANs in order for it to communicate.

I connected both this switches to a router on two different ports. (g0/0 and g0/1). and assigned the default gateway. 

Since there is only one VLAN configured on each switch, is it necessary to create a trunk port ? 

Please advise. Because when I tried creating switchport mode access from switch to router, I was not able to reach VLAN 20 from VLAN 10.

Thanks,
Fyaz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gs.skills
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

No it's not required.

You need an ip adress on each router interface within the right subnet (ONE SUBNET/VLAN), the port on the switch must be set to the right vlan too (switchport access vlan X).

The benefits with a trunk link is that it is more flexible: if you want to add a vlan, you only need to add subinterface on the router, the vlan on the switch, set some access ports to this vlan and your done.

Regards, Guillaume

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gs.skills
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

No it's not required.

You need an ip adress on each router interface within the right subnet (ONE SUBNET/VLAN), the port on the switch must be set to the right vlan too (switchport access vlan X).

The benefits with a trunk link is that it is more flexible: if you want to add a vlan, you only need to add subinterface on the router, the vlan on the switch, set some access ports to this vlan and your done.

Regards, Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Great it helped me !  and thanks for the explanation about the trunk link.

So in the case of multiple vlans on a single switch, we create a trunk port and in the router level, we define the ip address for each vlans in dot1q command? 

I would like to clarify, we are using dot1q to identify different vlans carried out by the trunk link?

Thanks,
Fyaz

You create a subinterface on the router for each vlan and set the dot1q tag in hte subinterface configuration.
Your are right, dot1q adds a tag to each frame and use it to identify the vlan it belongs to.
This configuration is often called a Router On A Stick, ROAS, you can find plenty of configuration examples. There is just a little trick about the concept of native vlan
Regards, Guillaume

okay got it ! Thanks alot Guillaume! :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card