Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Backup without ISDN Line

jmerchut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have big problem. My client has to have ISDN back-up but there is no possibility to get ISDN line to my client location. Router has WIC 1B S/T and should call in to the another router with PRI interface when there is a problem with main line (FR).

How can I resolve this problem?? Where can I plug ISDN line?

Best regards,

Jarek

1 Reply 1

vaughan.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jarek,

If there is no ISDN service where the remote site is then you will have to forget about using ISDN backup from that particular site.

Your best way to get dial backup would be to use something like a WIC-1AM or WIC-2AM (analog modem WICs) at the remote site, connected to normal POTS phone lines. You would then need to install some digital modems into the router with the PRI (NM-6DM etc). In this way the analog modems can dial into the PRI, whereby the PRI router will direct the call internally to the digital modems.

This won't give as good a performance as a BRI ISDN circuit, but it will at least allow you to implement a dial backup solution.

Hope that helps.

Vaughan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card