Views
Helpful
Replies

ISO Path -Cisco catalyst switches

chiragom2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am finding a hard time finding ISO version compatibility. Can I go from current running ISO version:

15.0(2)SE6, 15.0(2a)EX5, 15.0(2)SE8, 15.0(2)SE8

TO

15.2.4E8 MD?

Switch models: 2960-C and 2960-X (24 & 48 ports).

Thank you. 

8 Replies 8

Captain HoOmi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to the release notes, you can upgrade to this version and there is no requirements

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_4_e/releasenotes/rn-1524e-2960x-xr.html#93626

Download it from :

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284758121

Upgrade process:

1. copy bin file to the flash. Copy tftp: flash:

2. Then use show flash to make sure file exists, you can also use verify /md5 to confirm the hash value.

3. Next step:

conf t

boot system Flash:IOSname.bin

WR

RELOAD

** Please rate this post or accept the solution if it helped! :) **

Hi Luis_cordova,

Thanks for the reply. 

Can't we update directly to 15.2.4E8 MD (as Captain HoOmi mentioned in the previous comment)?

The term they have used "Customers are encouraged to migrate to the 15.2(2)E release train" is a bit confusing. It's not telling specifically whether or not we can go "directly" from 15.0(2)SE6, 15.0(2a)EX5, 15.0(2)SE8, 15.0(2)SE8 TO 15.2.4E8 MD. 

Regards

Hi @chiragom2341 

I understand your doubt.
Apparently, those EoLs were published before the release of IOS 15.2.4E.
Surely you can go directly to the newest version, but, on occasion I have seen that taking a long step between IOS has brought some problems.
Therefore, my recommendation to take an intermediate step.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

In the event of things break what's the best method to revert back? I prefer to use “archive download-sw /no-set-boot /leave-old-sw scp://” so that switch keeps the old version.

Since the switch would keep the old version and if something goes wrong I could use "boot system: <old IOS>" cmd to instruct the switch to boot with old IOS version instead of a new IOS version. Would this work?

Regards

I'd say backup config on one switch, then do a direct upgrade 15.2.4E8 MD. I don't think that will cause an issue. If successful, then upgrade remaining switches.

Thanks for your response, appreciated.

No worries, I appreciate if you can please rate my post if you find it helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: