Views
Helpful
Replies

Isolated PVLAN Trunk Port to non PVLAN Switch

David Kondicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i am trying to configurate Isolated PVLAN Trunk Port on my Cat4500e Sup7 on downlink port to NON PVlan Cat 2960s Switch.

I need to forward Vlan 30 (non isolated) and Vlan 50 (Secondary Vlan 501 as isolated)

I used this config on Cat 4500e:

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# interface gig 5/2
Switch(config-if)# switchport mode private-vlan trunk secondary
Switch(config-if)# switchport private-vlan trunk allowed vlan 30,50,501
Switch(config-if)# switchport private-vlan association trunk 50 501

I used this config on Cat 2960s:

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# interface gig 0/1
Switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk 
Switch(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan 30,50

On cat 4500e show mac add int gi 5/2 can see only Multicast MAC addresses for vlan 50.

Vlan 30 looks OK.

Anyone any idea?

Isolation localy on cat4500e works ok, but i need to make several trunks to non pval switches like cat 2960x,3560x,3650...

Thank you

Br

Dave

2 Replies 2

David Kondicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

as i see Private Vlaning on cisco losk to be a big taboo.

As i found, we can make an isolated trunk as private-vlan trunk secondary only if we have connected to this port a cat4500 series or higher, that supports private vlan. I am wondering on this and i am very very confused that there is such a big incompatibility between series. There is a big big hole and we will have a big problem if you want to upgrade your core switch that you have used simple protected ports before.

It will be a better way to choose another vendor than Cisco, becouse only way as i found on cisco tool is to upgrade Sup7 to Sup8E! And that is just crazy.

Sup 8 supports Private-Vlan Edge that looks be the same as the simple function as Protected port on Much cheaper Cat2960 switches.

Br

Dave

sivadura
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am too facing the same problem in Nexus 7000.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: