cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP Vlan interference

onyangoliech
Level 1
Level 1

I posted an issue I was having here a while ago. The router internal interface would go down intermittently. From the switch I could see all internal interfaces were up and I machines within the LAN could communicate; however they could not access the Internet. From the router I could ping the Internet and not the Internal LAN. I didn't get responses on this so I asked someone from another company to take a look. He suggested I take out all the managed switches in the LAN and replace them with unmanaged ones. I did this and the network has been stable since. He says that he's had this problem before on a network that was connecting to the Internet using a cisco router where the ISP is also using a cisco router. He says it has something to do with having similar vlans both at the ISP and on my LAN. Has anyone experienced this and if so, is this a bug in the cisco devices? As far as I know, cisco routers aren't supposed to forward intervlan traffic from the Internet.

4 Replies 4

Parvesh Paliwal
Level 3
Level 3

what do you mean by not able to access nternet ?

Are they not able to ping the default gateway ?

Possibly share the switch configurations.

Second, the vlan part is to be managed at your side only and has nothing to do with the ISP vlans.

Parvesh I cannot ping the router internal interface from a host in the LAN and therefore cannot access the Internet via that host. From a router console I get a response from t ping to a host on the Internet e.g. 8.8.8.8 but not one from a host inside the LAN. The switch(mananged) has minimal configurations, actually it only has the default configs i.e. only vlan 1, stp enabled etc.

The hosts that want to ping/reach the internet router's local interface are on a switch.. that seems okay ..

Can you confirm if the switch has a trunk interface having all vlans allowed  - towards router ?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Can you post the config from the switch which uplinks to the Cisco Router?

Do you know if the port on the Cisco Router is a Layer 3 port with an IP address of a L2 port using a VlanID and an SVI?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco