Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR (28XX), farpd/arpd

dm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Could you tell me is there any functionality in cisco which can replace arpd ( farpd in debian derivatives) ?

Thank you!

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you mean arp ?

If so why would you want to replace it ie. it is kind of important to the working of a router in forwarding packets.

Jon

I mean fake arp, I'd like to force router to answer to arp requests to some addresses doesn't belongs to it. We have some buggy hardware which doesn't  always use default gateway and sends arp requests instead.

local arp proxy helps, but this will affect all addresses, I need just several - two , may be three.

So, yes, I need something like local arp proxy, but with ability to list addresses .

As you say proxy arp on the router interface will respond to the clients.

But I'm not aware of any way to restrict what clients can make those requests although to be fair I have never tried to do that.

But if the clients all have default gateways set (but some don't use it) then the ones that do use it won't be using proxy arp.

Is the problem you have some clients who don't use their gateway that you don't want to be able to utilise proxy arp ?

Jon

No, it will not, because this cisco router really forward packets to another router in the same subnet, so, I don't know why, but cisco doesn't work as proxy arp in this case.

But I turned on proxy arp on another non-cisco router and this helps.

Can you clarify what you mean ?

Are you saying proxy arp is not working on the Cisco router ?

Jon

As far as I know now proxy arp works only if packet travels between interfaces.

i.e. in---cisco--out and in and out are differnet interfaces

in my case cisco has address 10.2.2.10, but it sends all packets to router with address 10.2.2.28, so cisco is not wroking as proxy arp.

I guess this is correct behaviour, right?

in my case cisco has address 10.2.2.10, but it sends all packets to router with address 10.2.2.28, so cisco is not wroking as proxy arp

Again, perhaps I am not following the exact issue but if there is another router on the same vlan/IP subnet and the destination is reachable by that router then you would only need proxy arp on that router ie. arp is broadcast so the other router will see that as well.

Having proxy arp on the Cisco router would give you nothing if every destination was reached by a second router.

Like I say, I may not be understanding your topology though.

Jon

Yes, you are right, as I wrote I already solved this problem.

But, anyway, it is still interesting can cisco do what arpd/farpd does?

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card