Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331 interface

jack samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

As per the link below ISR 4331 supports GLC-SX-MMD i have inserted in gig0/0/2 and the media type seen on the interface is unknown the same sfp works fine in gig0/0/0 interface. i have checked the same SFP on another new router and status is same,

any hints is there any license issue to activate 3 interface

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html#small-form-factor-pluggable

sh int gig0/0/2
GigabitEthernet0/0/2 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is ISR4331-3x1GE, address is 009a.d286.1f82 (bia 009a.d286.1f82)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not supported
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is auto, media type is unknown media type
  output flow-control is on, input flow-control is on

CPE01(config)#int gig0/0/0
CPE01(config-if)#media-type ?
  auto-select  Use whichever connector is attached
  rj45         Use RJ45 connector
  sfp          Use SFP connector

CPE01(config)#int gig0/0/2

CPE01(config-if)#m?
mac-address  macsec  medium  mka mtu

Index 3 Feature: securityk9
        Period left: Life time
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: Medium

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mmm yes, it is not a normal behavior, this link shows a similar situation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13025801/4331-transceiver-not-supportednot-compatible

I will  search more information. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Port 0/0/0 can be configured as SFP or RJ45

Port 0/0/2 is SFP only and that is why you don't see the media type command available.

So, LC-SX-MMD should work in 0/0/2. 

As far as I know, there is no license restrictions. You can use all on-board ports.

HTH

try no negotiation auto under the interface

i have just inserted a SFP to check whether it is supporting or not, and i got trap in this issue. i didn't connect any device to this port.

thanks

Dears

I upgraded the IOS today but no luck.

thanks

Hi

It is not a normal situation, if you have Cisco contract try to open a ticket with the Cisco TAC, it could be a hardware problem.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Dear Julio,

i have 2 no's of ISR 4331, in both ISR same problem, the same SFP works fines in gig0/0/0 but it shows unknown in gig0/0/2

very strange , i think i m missing some interface command for the ISR 4331 routers to activate the sfp on gig0/0/2

thanks

mmm yes, it is not a normal behavior, this link shows a similar situation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13025801/4331-transceiver-not-supportednot-compatible

I will  search more information. 

Dear Julio,

i saw the link and i tried by degrading to 3.15 but no success i dont know how to solve this issue.

thanks

Hi

I think I found the problem, this is my interpretation but, apparently the G0/0/2 is a dedicated port for Ethernet, in few words just for copper SFP like GLC-T

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/hardware/installation/guide4400-4300/C4400_isr/Overview.html

Cisco 4331 ISR

The Cisco 4331 ISR provides these capabilities:

• One single-wide SM slot
  • Two single-wide NIM slots that can combined into one double-wide (NIM1 and NIM2).
  • One 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Ethernet port for system management (labeled {MGMT} on the right of the connector)
  • One USB Type A host port
  • One USB mini-Type B console (placed next to the RJ-45 console port)
  • One RJ-45 console port
  • One RJ-45 auxiliary port
  • Three GE ports allocated among two RJ45 and two SFP as:

One combo port with 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Ethernet port or SFP Ethernet port (labeled GE0/0/0)

One dedicated 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Ethernet port (labeled GE0/0/1)

One dedicated SFP Ethernet port (labeled GE0/0/2)

--------------------------------------------------

Also checking the SFP support matrix

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc483994177

Cisco 4400 Series Router

4451-X, 4431, 4351, 4331, 4321: ISR 4000 Compatibility Matrix Link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-730527.html

Dear Julio,

+5 to the second last post of yours, i degraded to the lowest and then it showed me as below.

isr4300-universalk9.03.15.01c.S.155-2.S1c-std.SPA.bin

do sh int gig0/0/2
GigabitEthernet0/0/2 is down, line protocol is down
  Hardware is ISR4331-3x1GE, address is 009a.d286.1f82 (bia 009a.d286.1f82)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not supported
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is auto, media type is SX
  output flow-control is on, input flow-control is on

Thanks

Can you confirm you can use an SFP to terminate SMF on a 4000 series router? Trying to do it on a 4331 and the port will not come up. SFP is detected and port has link light but still shows down/down.

Hi

Are you connecting this router to other device into with same speed?

j0shmans
Level 1
Level 1

The resolution on this didn't work for me.  I started playing around and found that I had to actually set the interface to active:

interface gi 0/0/2

ethernet oam mode active

then bounce the port and viola, it came right up.  That was ridiculously easy... but also ridiculous that it had to happen in the first place.  It should be active by default unless one desired an active/standby setup.  At any rate, I hope this can help someone else!

Thanks for this thread.  I had a similar problem with a 4331, using a GLC-TE in port G0/0/2.  Our WAN provider requires the link to be hard coded to 100/FULL which used to work fine with the GLC-T, but with the GLC-TE the speed and duplex commands were unrecognized even after setting no negotiation auto.  After issuing the ethernet oam mode active command and shut/no shut, speed and duplex commands worked and the port could be configured.  The oam command must be the default because it does not show in the configuration.

Thanks again for the post.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card