Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with 9500-32C and using CVR-QSFP-SFP10G

barweiss45
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Today we spent the day trying to configure our new 9500-32C. We have a couple ports that have to use 10G for now so we purchased the adapters CVR-QSFP-SFP10G. We were running 16.10.1 at first since we are using the virtual-stacking. When we would insert the CVR adapters they would show up error disabled or they just wouldn't recognize them at all. We double checked the documentation and it said that it was supported, so we called TAC and after some testing it turned out that there is a bug on 16.10.1. The bug id is CSCvn60882. So they told us to upgrade to 16.11.1 which is the latest code that they have available on their website. Unfortunately, this did not appear to fix the issue. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and if they found a fix.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for not following up on this. Yes there was an issue found. It turned out the entire batch of CVR-QSFP-SFP10G's were bad. This is the response got back from TAC.

Thanks for your patience while we work through this on the back end. It seems that through our investigation the magic number on these CVR’s wasn’t programmed correctly, causing them to appear invalid. At this point we are trying to locate where this manufacturing error occurred and see how many devices may be impacted. Due to this, I am going to go ahead and RMA all of the CVR’s that you report as bad, and FA them to a site that is going to do this testing. Could you please provide the exact number of CVR’s you see exhibiting this behavior as well as all of their Serial Numbers. I will then RMA these to you.

It took us and Cisco almost a year to figure it out. However, during that time we created a work around by enabling the "service unsupported-transceiver" command.

HTH,

Barry

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hence cisco TAC asked you to perform upgrade, and the issue still persists not resolved.

Then need to go back to Cisco TAC for fix. since this is new Models in the Market, may have little inputs you get these kind of issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

barweiss45
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I figured I would follow up on this just in case anyone else has ran into this problem. This issue is related to bug CSCvn60882 - CVR-QSFP-SFP10G V02 May get un-recognised or goes to error disabled state upon installation. This only impacts the 9500-32C model and it appears that 16.11.1 does not fix the issue either. So far no fix has been identified.

We are having the same issue with a C9500-32QC.  Will call TAC in the morning.

@art.jackson Sorry to hear you are having an issue. One of our engineers have found a work around. We are using (OEM - original equipment manufacturer) Cisco CVR modules and our engineer noticed in the syslog the following message "%TRANSCEIVER-3-NOT_SUPPORTED". We then added the following command “service unsupported-transceiver" and then re-seated the module. This seem to fix the problem and has been stable for the past week or so. We notified TAC to see if there is going to be an upgrade released soon but we have yet to hear back. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

good to hear was the culprit non cisco SFP.

BB

The QSFP converters we are using are from Cisco and we have tried them with SFP-10G-LRM and GLC-TE and both cause the same issue.  Tried the service unsupported-transceiver command and it did not help.  

@art.jackson Sorry to hear that we are using twinax for some ports and the LRMs as well. Just curious, did you reseat the CVR after issuing the service unsupported transceiver command? We had to reseat the CVR module.

@balaji.bandi sorry for the confusion, we are using OEM SFPs from Cisco. The 9500 is saying that the SFP's are not supported when they are Cisco SFPs.

Yes we re-seated and tried different ports and whole switch reboots, but no luck.  As soon as the plug the converter in even with out a sfp inserted it goes err-disable.  Going to open case with tac in a few minutes.

@art.jackson just curious, what version of code are you running? Are you running 16.1.10 or 16.1.11? We are on 11 right now. Let me know what TAC tells you guys. We are still working with TAC right now for a permanent fix.

oh and thank you for the clarification.

BB

We were able to get some of our SFP modules to work but TAC says the SFP-10G-LRM are not supported.  We were able to get the GLC-TE working.

We are running 16.11

To clarify, you were able to successfully get a GLC-T to work in in a 9500-32C switch using a CVR adapter module? I just checked the compatibility matrix tool & its not showing that the GLC-T is supported in either the 9500-32C or 9500-32QC.

Hello, 

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? 

I am having a similar issue with with my 9500-32QC using a 40G QSFP  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card