Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with SX350X-24F

Lepps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I recently configured an sx350x-24F and have come up against a weird issue when plugging in workstations into the non-combo ports.

When plugging in the SFPs and having informational logging enabled I can see the switch acknowledge the fact that the SFPs have been inserted and the switch changes the speed of the port to 1Gb, matching the speed of the SFP. When connecting a workstation I can see the link light on the 1Gb fibre network card and the activity light start blinking as the workstation attempts to negotiate with the switch. The switch, however, does nothing. No logging messages, nothing on the ‘show int status’ command, no interfaces listed as err-disabled. The link light on the workstation NIC remains lit and Windows eventually gives up trying to 'identify' the network. When connecting a printer through a 1Gb copper-fibre media converter, the port comes up, the switch shows a logging message and the port forwards traffic, everything works as expected. Very weird. Any ideas why the switch might be ignoring the workstation? 

When plugging a workstation into the combo ports ports, they work as expected. Logging messages, traffic, the whole nine yards. All configuration on these combo ports are identical to the other ports on the switch. This leads me to think that the hardware used on the non-combo ports must be different and thus negotiate differently somehow. Maybe? All configuration across these ports is the same, they're just access ports configured to a VLAN. 

I’ve tried hard-coding speed, duplex, flow control, errdisable configuration for link-flapping, disabled the auto-voice LAN configuration, played around with the green-ethernet settings, tried setting the ports from access to general to customer ports and seeing if that makes a difference, updating the firmware on the switch and setting the workstation NIC to not go to sleep, and a whole host of other things but no dice.

Can anyone think of anything that I might be missing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

12 Replies 12

Hello,

what brand/type/model are the SFPs ?

Hi Georg,

Thanks for the reply. They're not Cisco OEMs and they don't seem to be a particular brand but are 'Cisco compatible'. I thought they may be duff but they work fine in the combo ports and on other Cisco switches and this switch seems to 'accept' them. At least the logs imply that it does. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per the information, the workstation has a Fibre NIC card not able to negotiate with the cisco SFP port? but Cisco SFP port can be negotiated with a media converter?

what is the outcome same media converter connected to the workstation that has an SFP NIC card? is the port come up?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

That's right, the workstation when plugged into the SFP port doesn't work. The workstation plugged into the combination port works fine. 

I'll have a go at popping the workstation in through the media converter and see if it's able to bring the port up. 

Lepps
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE:

Under the advance settings on the NIC in the workstation I set the speed and duplex to 1000 full. It takes nearly 3mins for the port to come up which is progress but not going to be acceptable moving forward. Portfast is enabled and the near 3min wait time is consistent. Once again, nothing in the logs except a message to say that it eventually comes up. Tried a mixture of SFPs and it's still the same. The combo ports come online instantly. What's so different about the combo ports?? 

Hello,

I am starting to think that maybe you have a faulty switch. Is it an option to return it and get a new one ?

And just to make sure, are you running the latest firmware, release 2.5.7.85 ?

Hi Georg,

I am running the latest firmware. 

I guess it could be faulty. One thing that leads me to believe that it isn't is the fact that it behaves normally with other network devices plugged into the SFP ports. That would lead me to speculate that the workstations are the ones with the problem but they work fine in the combo ports and other Cisco switches. 

Hello,

is this a new switch ? I guess the only way to find out if it is faulty is to try another one. One more thing, have you tried to reset the switch to factory defaults (as described in the link below) ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-350-series-managed-switches/smb985-how-to-manually-reboot-or-reset-a-switch.html

Hi Georg,

This is a new switch and I have tried resetting it back to factory defaults. 

Can you post the config on the switch side where you connecting this to look, looks like it going the process to spanning tree.

(this only can config once we see the config)

BB

Hi BB,

The interface configuration is: 

!

speed 1000 (auto configured as the SFPs are 1000BASE SFPs)

spanning-tree portfast

switchport access vlan 80

!

All other configuration relating to spanning tree is using the default (rapid STP). 

I tried turning STP off to see if that makes any difference. I'm starting to think that the non-combo ports are faulty. I assume that they're managed by the switch separately to the combo ports? 

i do not see any issue on switch side, worth looking what NIC is this ?

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card