cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues configuring Port-Security

IrateWeasel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to the Cisco world and I'm having issues with configuring Port-Security.

My setup looks like this: 

PC1------->SWITCH<---------PC2

On my 3550 Catalyst Switch, running 12.2, at home I'll type in the typically port-security commands while "logged" into a port and connected to that port via an Ethernet cable as well. I'll type:

switchport mode access

switchport port-security

switchport port-security max 1

And it will stop the connection. It won't learn that max 1 MAC address number. Ping doesn't work. 

Also, when I do the "sticky" command it won't learn the MAC address either, I can statically assign the MAC address and then it'll work as its intended.

So to my limited knowledge it seems like the switch is having an issue learning the MAC addresses dynamically, why would that be? I haven't run across anything on the Googles yet and figured I'd reach out to the Cisco forums. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance everyone. 

3 Replies 3

Hi

What is the model and its IOS? it could be a bug.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

It's a 3550 catalyst switch running version 12.2

It being a bug makes sense to me. I ran the exact commands I typed in my
original post on a newer cisco switch at my job and it worked, kindof. But,
that's a separate issue and I don't want to skip the first step as to why
it's not working.

So, are there known bugs with that version of IOS and model of switch?

Thanks.

Hi

This switch was manufactured a long time ago and it does not have support by Cisco, please check this link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/quot-dynamic-quot-port-security-issue-on-c3550-48/td-p/1435831

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card