Views
Helpful
Replies

It's possible to implement A stack between a 3750x PoE and 3750-48-ts

Levante86
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I wanted to know, having these two types of HW (3750x PoE and 3750-48-ts). It's possible to  implement a stack with these two different models?

Take this opportunity to ask if there is a limit number of devices powered via PoE that can be connected to 3750x, in some forums I read that over 20 phones you may have problems.

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pravin Pillai
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone can correct me If i am wrong

I think this is possible and this scenario is generally called mixed hardware stack.

Make sure there is no major IOS mismatch between the two members which will not allow/hinder with the stack. Master will pass this message onto the members if this happens,

In case there is a minor version mismatch you can always download or copy software from the master to the member.

To the best of my knowledge, I think LAN-base doesn't allow mixed stack.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Pravin Pillai
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone can correct me If i am wrong

I think this is possible and this scenario is generally called mixed hardware stack.

Make sure there is no major IOS mismatch between the two members which will not allow/hinder with the stack. Master will pass this message onto the members if this happens,

In case there is a minor version mismatch you can always download or copy software from the master to the member.

To the best of my knowledge, I think LAN-base doesn't allow mixed stack.

Hope this helps

Thank you,

i think that's correct, await further confirmation.

regards

More information is found in the config-guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_58_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#pgfId-1307692

There you see that it's a supported scenario as long as you don't use LAN Base.

Thanks all for the answers,
i tested with
c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE5.bin for the 3750x
c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-35.SE2.bin for the 3750

and as said i received a mismatch message, and the stack doesn't work.

i have a c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5.bin for the 3750, it's this resolutive for the mixed HW stack?

thanks

Marco,

Can you please try with the same IOS version?

CF

I can usethe c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE5.bin that i used for the 3750x  even for the 3750?

are you  sure? 

This is a case of mixed hardware and software stack. I believe you could try to convert either of them to same.image by deleting files from flash and then try to.copy from stack master to slave. I would rather try to change ipbase

Hello everyone,
i'm here, i've tested to put a universalk9 of the 3750x in the 3750.

-First: I have deleted the ipbase of the 3750 (7000 kb and some other directory to create a space sufficiently), total space was 16kb and the universalk9 it's 14kb.

-Ok, with the available space i try to upload a universalk9 already present on the 3750x, and the upload work fine.

-At this time when i reboot the switch, the new IOS was uploading, but when this process it's finished, i have this massage:

Error: hardware not supported by firmware.
       Try loading newer software instead.
       System Resetting...

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:1b:8f:0d:36:80
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 66 files, 7 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 15071744
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 927232
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 10 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs) installed, fsid: 3
done.

and the switch try again to loading a flash like in a loop....

solution to test this mixed stack? :D

I think we can stack IPServices and universal image together. You could try to download the SE5 version of the IPServices from below link

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279486488&flowid=2518&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=MD&reltype=latest

Once this is added, try to stack the switch and you can try and use archive copy-sw command.

i'm not qualified to download a c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE9.bin. only the ipbase IOS

I can t go on...

Marco, in order to make this work you will need to try and downgrade your IOS on the 3750-x, if you can.  You not only have to match the feature set on the 3750 ipbase/ipservice/etc. you also have to match the major (and sometimes minor) version numbers of the software.

If the 3750-x is new or under maintenance, you should qualify to download the matching license version of the IOS software. You may be able to reach out to the TAC and see if they can get you access to the equivalent version of software that you purchased with the 3750-x switch.

As for you initial question, yes the hardware is compatible, POE or not, just with the caveat that someone earlier mentioned, you backbone in the stack reverts to the maximum that the 3750 will support (32GB/sec, if I remember correctly).

thank you for the answer.

I'll keep you updated on the situation

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's possible, although the -X's StackWisePlus reverts to StackWise.

Generally, IOS versions should be identical (this doesn't mean identical images, as the two series use different images).

As noted by another poster, LANBASE -X devices cannot stack with other feature sets.

You can mix IPBase and IPServices.

Universal images supports IPBase or IPServices, which depends on device's license.

PoE support, on the -X, will depend on the power supplies and the specific model (there are PoE+ and UPOE models).

Unless you have need for a newer IOS version, I would recommend 55SE9.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco