Views
Helpful
Replies

Kron Schedule on 3650

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured a Kron schedule for my 3650 to copy its config to a tftp once a week, the problem is that it does not work even though I have the exact same config on a 1921 router and all of my 2960 switches. The config is exactly:

kron occurrence BACKUP_SUNDAY at 22:00 Sun recurring
 policy-list BACKUP
kron policy-list BACKUP
 cli copy run tftp://192.168.20.34

I know it is not because of the confirmation because I have already specified: file prompt quiet to avoid that issue. My question now is why does the 3650 not work while everything else does with the exact same config? Or should I use the EEM to do this kron job? and if so, how should the config look for the EEM because the documentation is not clear on how to do this.

Edit*

Just to add a little detail, this is version 3.3.1SE and after the job is supposed to occur, the kron policy-list disappears from the config.

Thanks,

Waqas

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Waqas,

The first thing we need to do is upgrade to 3.3.3 if possible.  3.3.1 is susceptible to a known Kron bug (see CSCtk68692) that will lock NVRAM.  However if you cannot upgrade at this time, you can use this simple archive script that I put together for another customer the other day with the same issue:

<sample config>

conf t
no archive

archive
path ftp://192.168.12.12/backup/configs
write-memory
time-period 1440  <---  daily backup (use 10080 for weekly)

end
wr

** in minutes
1440 = daily
10080 = weekly

Hope that helps

Luke

View solution in original post

If you have a Windows-based TFTP/FTP server then this will do, however, if you have a UNIX-/Linux-based FTP/TFTP server, you may enjoy the added benefit of using path ftp://192.168.12.12/backup/configs/$h-.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Waqas,

The first thing we need to do is upgrade to 3.3.3 if possible.  3.3.1 is susceptible to a known Kron bug (see CSCtk68692) that will lock NVRAM.  However if you cannot upgrade at this time, you can use this simple archive script that I put together for another customer the other day with the same issue:

<sample config>

conf t
no archive

archive
write-memory
time-period 1440  <---  daily backup (use 10080 for weekly)

end
wr

** in minutes
1440 = daily
10080 = weekly

Hope that helps

Luke

If you have a Windows-based TFTP/FTP server then this will do, however, if you have a UNIX-/Linux-based FTP/TFTP server, you may enjoy the added benefit of using path ftp://192.168.12.12/backup/configs/$h-.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Waqas.  laugh

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the input Luke

I checked for bug CSCtk68692 and it doesn't look like 3.3.1 is being affected by it.

Although I should probably upgrade just in case.

Cheers,

Waqas

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Waqas,

Sorry, I will work on getting the bug notes updated.  Your version is indeed susceptible to CSCtk68692, I just worked on this issue last week with a customer.  If you take a look at the link below, you will see that under "resolved caveats" in 3.3.3, CSCtk68692 is listed first.

Resolved Caveats in Cisco IOS XE Release 3.3.3SE

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/release_notes/OL30563.html#pgfId-752762

Luke

Hi Luke,

I tried to use the archive command but the NVRAM is locked on me, looks like this version and IOS XE 3.3.2 SE is also susceptible to the same bug.

Waqas

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the fix is in release 3.3.3

luke

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card