Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP etherchannel bonding - interfaces enter suspend state

Ivan Mamka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Basic config below on two switches for the LACP (CML2.x). Why they enter suspend (s) state? When enabled "debug lacp event", some messages seen as "Selected/Unselected", whatever it means...?

I have also similar situation for PAgP, which puts both interfaces into Independent (I) states (not shown here).

IvanMamka_1-1664826594690.pngIvanMamka_2-1664826627351.png

IvanMamka_3-1664826641273.png

IvanMamka_4-1664826824055.png

IvanMamka_5-1664827004752.png

IvanMamka_6-1664827072139.png

IvanMamka_7-1664827306650.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It sure bug the Dev ID is same   !!!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

try shut/no shut PO in one SW, 
this will force both SW to exchange LACP.

Hi,

The subject should be changed. I can't make Etherchannel work even wtih 1:1 interfaces and with mode on. Thus doesn't work with any mode: ON/LACP/PAgP.

As another test, I have assigned both switch interfaces an IP address (L3 etherchannel). When one switch trying to ping another one, it sends an ARP request to find out who has that IP address, but other switch does not reply. If I disable etherchannel on one switch and leave it on on the other switch - both can ping each other's IP address.

As per pictures, I'm suspecting that issue could be with Etherchannel Mac address is the same on both switches.

IvanMamka_0-1665000993333.png

IvanMamka_1-1665001033096.png

IvanMamka_2-1665001087077.pngIvanMamka_3-1665001142773.png

IvanMamka_5-1665001575497.png

Yes I see same issue before the CML assign same MAC address for both SW PORTS that why the PO is failed.
so try use different port 
for example port 1 in SW1 port2 in SW2 

I have tried that, in second post I'm using G0/1 on one switch and G0/3 on another.

It sure bug the Dev ID is same   !!!

I already think about this, but here it talk about L3 PO not L2. 
in L3 we can config SVI and since it virtual we can manually config the MAC address 
but for L2 PO that hard, 
as I know we can not config manually the L2 port mac.

No, they talk also about workaround for L2 - use command "channel-group <n> mode ON". I used that but on L3 which did not work. But on L2 mode ON works.

But now I'm finding possibly other bugs. Similar issues with same mac address for interfaces example "INT VLAN 100", on both switches they have the same mac address, thus I could not ping SVI from one switch to the other, and after changing mac, it starts to ping.

it work with L2 PO, 
can I see 
show spanning tree in both SW?

So I connected 4 desktops. as below, but when pinging each other seems all traffic going through the top link (maybe coincidence?). Also interesting, when switched off int G0/0 on right switch, the laptop on the left stopped continuous ping (no response), but when I switched off G0/0 also on the left switch, laptop from the left resumed ping of the laptop from the right. Maybe that's the way how load balancing works - if load-balancer chose to use that port for that "src-dest-ip", combination, then it will stick to it until the port is shut down in the switch itself.

IvanMamka_0-1665169118407.png

Right switch:

IvanMamka_1-1665169143555.png

Left switch:

IvanMamka_2-1665169196063.png

IvanMamka_3-1665169531804.png

IvanMamka_4-1665169688411.png

Rather screenshot

can you post below information ;

show run

show span brienf

show ip interface briend

show vlan

show version

I have observed the spanning tree for forwarding in one of the screenshots, and in another screenshot, it becomes root bridge.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

I believe the initial issue been solved (connectivity between etherchannels) - bug/defect in CML 2.3.x

There is other issue - Can't ping from SVI on one switch to the etherchanel on the other switch. But this is other issue I guess rather then the topic. I will update CML first to 2.4.1 (which logged a case with cisco, as I can't download it) and will try again...

thanks all for the help!

Sure hope you are testing only features, sometime trying IOL also help you just for your concept testing.

some visuals always have bug, seen vIOS bugs too around.

sure never looked latest 2.4 release notes, if the image MAC address not changed in the template you may see issue I guess. but worth trying after all its LAB.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card