Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP passive mode

mattjoann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there is any good use of the 'passive' mode for LACP (802.3ad) link aggregation / etherchannel? I understand the recommended setup is to use active on both side so why no just get rid of the 'passive' mode all together to simplify things?

Let me know what you think.

Matt

3 Replies 3

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

There will always be the occasion when linking up to other manufacturer/older equipment where non-standard connections may be required.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

it is a matter of control with passive mode you can decide which side starts the LACP negotiation.

When both sides are active, both are allowed to start the LACP negotiation phase.

I agree that it is common practice to have active/active, but the standard provides also the passive mode for those corner cases where the bundle should be formed but you want to control which side starts the negotiation.

It is part of the standard so we keep it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe & pwwiddicombe,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the difference between passive and active but I don't see any benefits is using passive, a few less LACPDUs maybe but I don't think it would a performance concern? 

Matt 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card