cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP ports - Suspended Mode Question.

jokerfmj1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two IPS devices in an active/passive setup that each have two ports connected to a switch as an aggregate link. The switch in turn has two port-channels which consist of two ports each. The IPS device uses LACP.

One of these port-channels has the ports configured as "channel-group 1 mode on" and the other has its members configured as "channel-group 2 mode active".

When the active IPS is the one connected to the "channel-group 1 mode on" ports, traffic does not work properly.

When the active IPS is the one connected to the "channel-group 2 mode active" ports, traffic works as expected.

However, when I change channel-group 1 to "active" (making it LACP) the links go into Suspended mode because they are not receiving LACP BPDUs from the passive IPS. The vendor has said that a passive IPS will not send these LACP BPDUs.

My question is, if there is a failover and the IPS with switch ports in suspended mode becomes active, will those suspended ports become active without user intervention or will they have to be shut/no shut manually for them to work properly?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is, if there is a failover and the IPS with switch ports in suspended mode becomes active, will those suspended ports become active without user intervention or will they have to be shut/no shut manually for them to work properly?

Usually when a port is in suspended mode, it will not recover on its own unless the port is manually shut/no shut.

HTH

That was what I thought, but I couldn't find an answer with any kind of certainty.

Thanks, Reza.

Have you tried changing the LACP rate?   Sometimes the default of "slow". Is just that, too slow. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/techdoc/dc/reference/cli/n5k/commands/lacp-rate-fast.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card