Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN setup - interface tracking

Joris Deprouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a network setup in mind which I want to deploy.(attached network design).

I have 2 WAN links, 1 x 50Mb and 1 x 4Mb (just a simple everyday internet connection).

Behind each WAN link there is a firewall. Just a simple model, nothing exotic. Not able to do a routing protocol.

Behind the Firewalls I have our L3 core switches which have all the SVI's configured and shared by HSRP. For some vlans core A is active, for some core B is active, depending on the WAN link the traffic has to use. Each Core switch has a default route to it's connected firewall. So traffic arriving on coreswitchA is passed on to firewall A and so on...

I want also to build in redundancy. When eg. Firewall B fails, I want all traffic to pass through Firewall A. I can do this by interface tracking on the uplink to the firewall on both core switches. Then decrementing the HSRP priority in order to let the active SVI's from coreswitch B fail over to coreswitchA

Now when the WAN B link itself is down the firewall B stays active, I do not have interface tracking available to do the failover, the firewall B interface will stay up on core switch B when WAN link B is down.

Is there an other way to track an ip a few hops further?

Any suggestion how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Joris

1 Reply 1

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use "IP SLA"  to check the reachability

You can find the example in below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800a9679.shtml

Thanks

Raju

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card