cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lanbase IOS: Setup wrong initially now cannot ping within vlan

kathegaj2
Level 1
Level 1

I am a little embarrassed to say but I was shipped some equipment and I didn't realize the IOS was LANBASE. I tried to configure multiple SVI (V5 172.16.11.0/25 and V10 172.16.11.128/25) After some delay, namely i couldn't enable "ip routing", I flattened the network so the servers could talk to the clients. All seems okay but now I have built a TFTP server at .180 and my LANBASE switch is .1 I cannot get here from there. In fact, I cannot ping ANYTHING in the higher range of addresses, even though the config for the SVI is:

interface Vlan5

172.16.11.1 255.255.255.0

end

Where could the block be? I have checked for Host FW, it seems that other devices on the LAN can ping across to each other but not the switch itself...

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI cathe,

pls give a ip add to vlan 1 and connect TFTP server into that vlan,pls check the interface configuration of the port which TFTP server connected.also check the STP instance wether it is operational after u connected the TFTP server.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you remember to add the port that the TFTP server is connected to to vlan 5?

I am not certain if we are saying the same thing but I did configure the source for TFTP on the lanbase switch:

ip tftp source-interface Vlan5

Still perplexed on why I can't ping...

kathegaj2 wrote:

I am not certain if we are saying the same thing but I did configure the source for TFTP on the lanbase switch:

ip tftp source-interface Vlan5

Still perplexed on why I can't ping...

What does the output of "show interface vlan5" give you?

You should get something like this

Vlan5 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is EtherSVI, address is 5475.d0b5.67c1 (bia 5475.d0b5.67c1)

If you get something like this

Vlan5 is administratively down, line protocol is down

or

Vlan5 is down, line protocol is down

A) You haven't actually enabled the SVI - you need to do this

configure terminal

interface vlan5

no shutdown

end

or

B) You have no active interfaces on the switch (trunk or access) which are in VLAN5 and which are connected/active. The switch will not bring the SVI online until there is an active port actually IN the VLAN - this can be either a trunk or access port.

And, if the SVI isn;t up, then you won't be abl to PING it.

Cheers

What Reza meant there was the interface that your TFTP server is physically connected. Make sure that it's on vlan 5.

Also make sure that your TFTP can ping it's daf gw which should be 172.16.11.1

Cheers,

Fabio

HI cathe,

pls give a ip add to vlan 1 and connect TFTP server into that vlan,pls check the interface configuration of the port which TFTP server connected.also check the STP instance wether it is operational after u connected the TFTP server.

vlan 5 = 172.16.11.0/24  (switch ip 172.16.11.1, df gate 172.16.11.14)

vlan 1 = 172.16.10.0/28  (switch ip 172.16.10.6)

tftp server = 172.16.11.7

My TFTP server is on vlan 5, however when I change my tftp source interface from vlan 5 to

ip tftp source-interface vlan 1

where my mgmt vlan lives I am able to archive my running to the tftp server! I don't understand it but it worked...

BTW the part about being unable to ping was a setting in MS7 OS where the network was "Public" rather than "work or home".

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card