cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Large bursts of transmit drops on very little traffic

spfister336
Beginner
Beginner

I have some users reporting slowness on a 9300 switch. The stats show large (several hundred thousand) transmit drops occurring in short bursts. The confusing thing is, there is often very little traffic going on when the transmit drops are happening. For example, one particular case happened this morning at 4:19am. Traffic through that port was under 100kbps the whole night. Not all users using this same switch are reporting issues. Could this be some sort of bug? We are running IOS-XE 16.6.5

4 REPLIES 4

balaji.bandi
VIP Guru VIP Guru
VIP Guru

Try upgrade to new Code IOSXE 17.3.3 i see some stablity here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Expert Hall of Fame Expert
Hall of Fame Expert

Have a look at this link. This is a field notice with a bug ID on a memory leak that is affecting many versions. A bug usually affects the entire switch, and the strange part about yours is that you only have some users that are affected. If you move the affected users to different ports, does the problem persist?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/703/fn70359.html

HTH

spfister336
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, we moved the affect PC to another port and the issue went with it. I guess 16.6.5 is kind of old, I'll try and push for an upgrade.

Only certain users are complaining, I guess there could be a few more that are affected but not yet complaining.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame Master Hall of Fame Master
Hall of Fame Master

Besides the possibility of a bug, your situation might also be representative of a very severe level of output dropping which can drive average transfer rate so low, it can seem that congestion cannot be an issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: