Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Loop in Branch Network

hi all,

In my branch office , there is a layer 2 going on. Only two vlans exists for Data (vlan 10) and Management (Vlan 20).
My branch LAN topology look like following:

Cisco Router (fa0/0.10) ---> SW 1 (Trunk - gi 0/2)
                                                       (Trunk - gi 0/1) ----> SW 2 (Trunk - gi 0/1)

I did the following configuration to all access ports in all switches.
Access Port Config :

switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

There is no any security violations and still problem prevails. How do I resolve this issue ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joe19366
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Sounds like you have a device connected to the network that is fwd traffic up and down a single port, and or a cable from your cisco switch back to itself.

first, NEVER run "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" when you have a loop. your likely PREVENTING STP from doing its job - and finding out redundant paths to root and staying fwd when it should block.

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable is like turning off spanning-tree in many cases. the ONLY time you should EVER use that command is when connecting to a device YOU DO NOT control that will have an error if it hears a bpdu.

So, once you remove that command from all ports if you STILL have a loop, i recommend enabling BPDUGUARD on each port which you some how missed. BPDU GUARD can be enabled on ANY switchport that is not a link to another switch in your topology. this will disable any interface that is looped back to your own switch either directly with a single cable or through a switch or device in your infrastructure.

let us know...

thanks,

Joe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

joe19366
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Sounds like you have a device connected to the network that is fwd traffic up and down a single port, and or a cable from your cisco switch back to itself.

first, NEVER run "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" when you have a loop. your likely PREVENTING STP from doing its job - and finding out redundant paths to root and staying fwd when it should block.

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable is like turning off spanning-tree in many cases. the ONLY time you should EVER use that command is when connecting to a device YOU DO NOT control that will have an error if it hears a bpdu.

So, once you remove that command from all ports if you STILL have a loop, i recommend enabling BPDUGUARD on each port which you some how missed. BPDU GUARD can be enabled on ANY switchport that is not a link to another switch in your topology. this will disable any interface that is looped back to your own switch either directly with a single cable or through a switch or device in your infrastructure.

let us know...

thanks,

Joe

Thanks Joe for your support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card