Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 multicast configuration?

Brian Tulloch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 switches (ESW520 and 2x 2960-s) configured in a star configuration. One 2960 and ESW520 both have multicast cameras connected, the other 2960s has the recording and viewing equipment connected.

I have enabled IGMP snooping on both the 2960s. The 2960 with the cameras connected is having the camera ports flooded with multicast traffic.

Do I need to turn on the querier function on the 2960 with the recording equipment? If so, how?

Can the ESW520 support multicast?

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

Yes you need the IGMP snooping querier function if you have no L3 interfaces configured with PIM.  IGMP snooping on a switch listens to the IGMP queries and responses to those queries. If you have a L3 interface(s) running PIM then they will send the IGMP queries. But if you don't then nothing will make the queries so IGMP snooping has nothing to listen to.

So, if the switch supports it, you can use the IGMP snooping querier which makes IGMP queries. See this link for how to configure it -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1193337

You should enable it on one of your 2960 switches.

As for the ESW520, i'm sorry but i don't know is the short answer. That is a small buisness switch and they have their own forums so perhaps you could post that question in those.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

Yes you need the IGMP snooping querier function if you have no L3 interfaces configured with PIM.  IGMP snooping on a switch listens to the IGMP queries and responses to those queries. If you have a L3 interface(s) running PIM then they will send the IGMP queries. But if you don't then nothing will make the queries so IGMP snooping has nothing to listen to.

So, if the switch supports it, you can use the IGMP snooping querier which makes IGMP queries. See this link for how to configure it -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1193337

You should enable it on one of your 2960 switches.

As for the ESW520, i'm sorry but i don't know is the short answer. That is a small buisness switch and they have their own forums so perhaps you could post that question in those.

Jon

Thanks Jon, worked a treat.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card