cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Switch cant communicate with Router (PT LAB)

BrogsB12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello world, newbie here,

I am working on a lab studying for the CCNA which is related to OSPF. The lab has 3 sites, AZ, NV and FL which when usingRouter on a Stick everything works to perfection. However, the instructor on his video doesn't have any sub-interfaces on the routers which led me to believe that he is using SVI's on the L3 switch(s) that connects to the edge router (topography attached) i could have let this go at theRouter on a Stick config w/ OSPF but i'm curious and want to learn how to config withoutRouter on a Stick (if possible) and now its been DAYS messing with configs on AZ with no result of the L3 switch communicating/ forming an adjacency with the router.

On my lab when using only SVIs on the AZ site, VLANS can communicate with each other but they don't get passed the default gateway i set for them on the L3 switch SVI and OSPF adjacencies are formed between the two core L3 switches but not the router on AZ.... YET, adjacencies are formed with all site routers and i can ping devices from NV to FL without issues; again i kept Router on a Stick there since a L2 switch is the main device there per the lab. Can anyone advise me on why this could be and yes i have enabled Ip routing on the switch and have the correct default gateway for the computers to get to.. just that after trace route the computers get to their respective gateway and stop there...

I tried various other things such as a new SVI to connect to the router for communication but its not working... i will add as details emerge .. 

35 Replies 35

hi dave

i have shown my tasks to the supervisor today he was happy, but he gave me another tasks within the same tasks is to use /29 between routers and the hosts remains in /24,ho w can i solve this problem according to you

i appreciate any help thanks in advance

you sincelrey \Mahdi

Mahdi,

Please start a new conversation for this question. Posts can only be marked as a solution by the person who originally started the conversation. Leave out the part "Hi Dave" and "Supervisor". Just say that you need to go from at /24 to a /29 network. There are plenty of knowledgeable people, let's give them a chance for some input.

The quick answer is, yes it can be done.

I'll be able to start helping you later today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Now I  need to go from /24 to /29 mask, for the ospf routers especially,  but the host remains as usual with ,/24 mask

I appreciate your help 

Your sincerely Mahdi 

.i appreciate your help Dave 

Mahdi

I need this to go urgently from /24 to /29  thanks Dave 

mahdi benameur
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a solution for this /29 mask addres for the ospf routers of the task instead of using /24  thanks 

Any reply

Mahdi,

Since the original problem was fixed, please start a new conversation for this issue. Use any title that works (Maybe "Network Subnet Mask change" or "Help").

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card