cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License level mismatch on SMU install?

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

I have a C9300 stack running Gibralter 16.12.3 and I ran into a bug.  Then I discovered that there was an SMU for the bug.  Having never installed a SMU I decided to give it a try.  I copied the cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin to flash and issued the install add command:

Switch#install add file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin
install_add: START Mon Mar 1 17:33:31 EST 2021
install_add: Adding SMU
install_add: Checking whether new add is allowed ....

--- Starting initial file syncing ---
[1]: Copying flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin from switch 1 to switch 2 3
[2 3]: Finished copying to switch 2 switch 3
Info: Finished copying flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin to the selected switch(es)
Finished initial file syncing

--- Starting SMU Add operation ---
Performing SMU_ADD on all members
[1] SMU_ADD package(s) on switch 1
FAILED: install_add /flash/cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin: Device license network-essentials does not match SMU license level dna-advantage
[1] Finished SMU_ADD on switch 1
[2] SMU_ADD package(s) on switch 2
FAILED: install_add /flash/cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin: Device license network-essentials does not match SMU license level dna-advantage
[2] Finished SMU_ADD on switch 2
[3] SMU_ADD package(s) on switch 3
[3] Finished SMU_ADD on switch 3
Checking status of SMU_ADD on [1 2 3]
SMU_ADD: Passed on []. Failed on [1 2 3]
Finished SMU Add operation

FAILED: install_add exit(1) Mon Mar 1 17:33:46 EST 2021

What is up with that?  This is a patch that is supposed to resolve a bug with basic spanning-tree operation.  I didn't see anything about licensing restrictions in the documentation.  There is not a separate network-essentials and dna-advantage patch to download.

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we are not sure where this is a document to upgrade SMU, you already running 16.12.3 you having the same bug, are you sure?

there is a workaround is to the configuration :

Workaround:
Issue NOT happening (workarounds):

if native vlan is default (vlan1)
if the switch running 16.12.3 is downgraded to 16.12.2 OR 16.9.5
if customized STP vlan priority command is not in place (using customized native vlan & letting C9300 be the STP root)

if not fixed with the work around then you need  to upgrade IOS XE  16.12.4a

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB and thank you for your reply.

I do not like the workarounds as it forces this one interface on this one switch to use a non-standard configuration.  If the solution is to upgrade to a different version then what is the purpose of offering the SMU at all?  Since the SMU is being offered as a solution, why is the installer checking license levels?

Not sure which document offering SMU install can you point me, i may be missing some information, as per the bug you mentioned ( based on that i have advised )-  some time sure we may miss a bit small information, which leads to a different problem.

can you clarify for us, please?

BB

Hi BB.

My original post contains all of the pertinent information.  I don't know what more I can tell you.

Maybe we are still missing something here:CSCvt72427

can you post-show the version and dir from Switch please.

here is the bug information you mentioned - where does this say to install SMU?

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvt72427/?rfs=iqvred

BB

I understand that there are multiple ways to fix this problem.  One way is to load a newer release.  Another way is to install a SMU package.  If you look at the available software and you follow this path:

Downloads Home =>

Switches =>

Campus LAN Switches - Access =>

Catalyst 9300 Series Switches =>

Catalyst 9300-24UX-E Switch =>

IOS XE Software Maintenance Upgrades (SMU) =>

Gibraltar-16.12.3

You will find this SMU package:

Reload/Recommended SMU, Switch running 16.12.3 is not processing superior BPDUs for non-default native vlan
cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03.CSCvt72427.SPA.smu.bin

If Cisco did not ever intend this package to be used, why is it made available as a download?

Did you ever find a resolution to this?   I've ran into the same problem trying to install an SMU on 17.06.05 on a 9200L, it says my license is supposed to be network-advantage, but it's for fixing an issue with LLDP, which is most definitely not an 'advantage' feature.   This was pretty much the only post I could find with the same issue on here.

not sure you need SMU  here, post show version and post config and logs for us to understand your issue.

BB

I appreciate your response, but you are still missing the point of our issue.    Whether we *need* the patch is irrelevant, the SMU is available for our respective IOS versions on the Cisco Downloads website, but yet it won't install because it requires the 'network-advanced' license for some reason.    In my case, the reason I wanted to install the SMU (CSCwe27538) was to prevent this issue from happening in the first place, as it would most certainly affect us if it did.

Can you please find out why we can't install these SMUs?   Is it because they are 'Hitless'?  Do those type require the Advanced license?

Here is the link to the page on the Downloads site with the SMU - https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286320029/type/286308587/release/17.6.5

Here is what my switch says when it attempts to install it:

install_add_activate_commit: START Tue Apr 11 20:03:07 PDT 2023
<5>%INSTALL-5-INSTALL_START_INFO: R0/0: install_engine: Started install one-shot flash:cat9k_lite_io sxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin
cat: /tmp/patch/patch.sta: No such file or directory
install_add_activate_commit: Adding SMU
install_add_activate_commit: Checking whether new add is allowed ....

--- Starting initial file syncing ---
Info: Finished copying flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin to the selected switch(es)
Finished initial file syncing

--- Starting SMU Add operation ---
Performing SMU_ADD on all members
[1] SMU_ADD package(s) on switch 1
FAILED: install_add /flash/cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin: Device license network-essentials+dna-essentials does not match SMU license level network-advantage
[1] Finished SMU_ADD on switch 1
Checking status of SMU_ADD on [1]
SMU_ADD: Passed on []. Failed on [1]
Finished SMU Add operation

FAILED: install_add_activate_commit exit(1) Tue Apr 11 20:03:22 PDT 2023
<3>%INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: R0/0: install_engine: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin, Error: FAILED: install_add /flash/cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin: Device license network-essentials+dna-essentials does not match SMU license level network-advantage
<3>%INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: R0/0: install_engine: Failed to install_add_activate_commit package flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.06.05.CSCwe27538.SPA.smu.bin, Error: [1]: FAILED: SMU_ADD failed in switch 1

Thanks!

andrew.webster
Level 1
Level 1

Was this ever resolved?

I have the same issue, applying same patch to 17.06.05.

Same error.

New switch just out of the box and in my lab. I would like to upgrade it with the available SMUs before deployment.

Unfortunately no, I suspect it will take someone with an Active Support contract in order for Cisco to engage or care.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card