Helpful
Replies

Limit Bandwidth on Switch or Router

Edson Vuma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, guys

I have a concern.

How I can limit the bandwidth for customers.

This is my scenario.

I have a 30Mbps Internet link, and I want to "share" this Internet to customers, but, certainly I will have to limit the bandwidth, upload and download.

The customers are going to be connected to this Internet by Switch....

I have seen this command:

Switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth ?  limit              Configure bandwidth-limit for this interface
  shape             Configure shaping on transmit queues
  share              Configure shared bandwidth

Is this command adequated to my concern?
Is there another?

What are the best practicies for this type and level of configurations (limit bandwidth)?

Any help?

--
Regards
Edson Vuma       

-- Regards Edson Vuma
16 Replies 16

Hi Edson,

I don't think the ios has a difference in this case, otherwise i'd assume cisco would have stated this as a feature enhancement.

I haven't seen any documentation that states the output config on 3750's.

You may wish to have a look at these links which state the input option and also the srr-queue bandwidth commands...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swqos.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1163879

hth

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I know this is old post, but in case somebody else might be interested in future - you actually can achieve bidirectional policing with only ingress policing available. 

Create multiple classes, matching desired IP address(es) and include these classes in single policy-map with individual policer values. Then you can attach that policy to the inbound of switch uplink interface, effectively policing egress traffic for users.

For example, let's limit upload/download to 2mbit for User1 with IP address of 10.20.20.2 and to 3mbit for User2 with 10.20.20.3

ip access-list extended USER1
permit ip any host 10.20.20.2

ip access-list extended USER2
permit ip any host 10.20.20.3

class-map match-all USER1
match access-group name USER1

class-map match-all USER2
match access-group name USER2

policy-map SHAPER
class USER1
police 2000000 200000 exceed-action drop
class USER2
police 3000000 300000 exceed-action drop

policy-map 2MB
class class-default
police 2000000 200000 exceed-action drop

policy-map 3MB
class class-default
police 3000000 300000 exceed-action drop

interface Fa0/10
description Uplink to Internet
<output omitted>
service-policy input SHAPER

interface Fa0/1
description USER1
<output omitted>
service-policy input 2MB

interface Fa0/2
description USER2
<output omitted>
service-policy input 3MB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card