Views
Helpful
Replies

line-card WS-X6408A-GBIC?

r.sagredo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

We currently have a WS-C6506 chassis with a line-card WS-X6408A-GBIC. Currently we need to replace the chassis by a Ws-6504-E and also the line-card. My question is: What must buy line-card and meets the same specifications of WS-X6408A-GBIC?.

atte

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Raul,

modern linecards have SFP optics not GBIC, so you will need to change the optical fibers between patch panels and the switch.

a possible replacement is

WS-X6724-SFP

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd801459a7.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Tranks Giuseppe,

Customer does not want to replace their GBIC connectors. making it difficult to replace by a line-card SFP.

We can install a GBIC in this type of equipment? -

Atte

Hello Raul,

no because it has SFP slots only.

As I wrote modern linecards have SFP optics I understand it may be difficult to explain to the customer.

You can move the old linecard to the new switch in this case unless you build a VSS you should be able to use it also with a Sup720 supervisor

Supervisor engine: Supported by the Supervisor Engine 1A, Supervisor Engine 2, Supervisor Engine 32, or Supervisor Engine 720  this is also on the datasheet that I have linked in previous post.

But the linecard will use the 32 Gbps shared bus and it does not connect directly to the sup720 720 switching fabric

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are going to use an E chassis you can use 6708 card that will give you 8 10gig ports with SC type connector (GBIC)

HTH

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card