Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Cards Performance on C4510R

zekebashi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, 

Some of our engineers have reported a slowness issue downloading large files from a filer(storage system). The client machines are connected to C4510 access layer switches. One of the client machines is connected to port g5/7, then, were moved to g2/29; next, were moved to 3/15, and the slowness issue persisted.I checked all of the interfaces' logs but didn't find any errors. However, when the client machine was moved to 8/2 the slowness issue didn't follow. Our cabling vendor inspected the cable runs for all of those data drops but didn't find any issue. 

I'd like to know what type of tests I could as our cabling vendor to perform end-to-end. 

The other thing I want to find out is what should I look for on the C4510 to show why these ports experienced slowness issues but g8/2 didn't. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, ~zK 

WS-C4510R+E (P5040) processor

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Expert Hall of Fame Expert
Hall of Fame Expert

Hi,

You can use a free tool like cacti to measure the performance per port, as it is not easy to find out on the switch itself why some ports/blades perform slower than others.  If you use this tool, it will give you a good report on how much load each port can handle. Are blades 2, 3 and 5 the same as 8?

http://www.cacti.net/index.php

HTH

Thanks for the input, Reza! 

That's correct. All line cards are identical. 

Best, ~zK 

What's the sup and what's the line cards?

Hi Joseph, 

The line cards are: WS-X4748-UPOE+E and the SUP is:  WS-X45-SUP8-E.

Best, ~zK 

Ah, well that's about as good as it gets on a 4500.

If you do find the cause, please post what it was.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: