Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Aggregation between single Linux box having 2 NIC & Cisco 6509

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have got NAS storage, in that could able to see 4 options, Link Aggregation,Load Balancing,Fault Tolerance & Standalone. when i read the Link Aggregation document mentioned that NAS storage document, it has mentioned that "combines LAN1 and LAN2 into a single channel, appearing as a single MAC address to provide greater bandwidth. Must be used with Link Aggregation capable switch. This feature is also called 'trunking'".

i have connected these 2 LAN cables on my 6509 running catOS, gone through the website in cisco,

based on that i issued the command as below

"Cat6509> (enable) set port lacp-channel 9/2-3"

"Wrong protocol type. Module 9 is set to PAGP",

which means lacp should be enabled in the module 9, so if i issue the command "set channelprotocol lacp 9" will be there in a problem on the network? because 5 servers are connected on to this module, on port 2 & 3 is the NAS storage i have connected for Link Aggregation.

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I guess it depends on whether you have any other channels in module 9 that are actually using pagp as the etherchannel protocol , if so then yes it would break those .

Thanks for the reply,

but only the servers are connected on this module 9. ether-channels are connected on module 3(fiber module). so that will not be an issue i suppose, am i right watt i have assumed?

also can't we enable "lacp" alone on the specified ports in 6509? why this restriction in cisco that either pagp or lacp alone can only be enabled?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card