cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Redundancy on ASA 5505

GrahamB_SEMC
Level 1
Level 1

We have a server with dual NIC cards I want to configure for redundancy to our 5505 router. Reading online though the router has no support for EtherChannel or LACP. What are my options here for a proper redundant network link? If I configure LACP on the server will the Cisco ASA not know what to do with the packets sent via LACP? Or is there a better configuration option to utilize the NICs for reliability on Windows Server 2008 R2?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to have support for lacp on both sides of the link, so the asa will drop those packets. How are you laid out now? You could configure nic teaming on the server (I don't remember how since it's been years), but I'm also not sure what those requirements were either.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have to have support for lacp on both sides of the link, so the asa will drop those packets. How are you laid out now? You could configure nic teaming on the server (I don't remember how since it's been years), but I'm also not sure what those requirements were either.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

They're BroadCom NetXtreme cards so I believe BroadCom has a provided utility for creating Teams that I'll need to look into.

Your answer clears up my suspicions of LACP, Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card